TechSpot

Puzzled over Ethernet Cable connectivity

By ywbl330
Dec 27, 2008
  1. Hi, I am puzzled over the connectivity of my ethernet cable. I wonder if anyone faced this problem before and have any solution.

Senario:
    1 Ethernet cable
    1 Notebook
    1 desktop PC

Problem:
    I was trying to get my desktop PC connected to a network but failed. I have no problem connecting my notebook to the network using the same LAN cable nor do I have problem connecting my desktop PC to the network using another LAN cable. What went wrong?

Thanks..

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

The original ethernet cable is faulty

3. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

I don't fully understand what you're saying here...

Are you saying that you have an Ethernet cable that works for your laptop but not for your desktop?

4. ywbl330

ywbl330 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, the same LAN cable works on my notebook but doesn't work on my desktop PC. Both my notebook & PC has got the same network configuration, e.g. workgroup, IP address (fixed IP is used on my network). I also tested my PC on another LAN cable to makesure its' network card is working.

5. kimsland

When you connect to a hub or router or modem you must use a "Patch" ethernet cable
    But when connecting two computers directly together you must use a "cross-over" ethernet cable

6. ywbl330

ywbl330 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Dear Kimsland & MetalX,

Thanks for your replies. I managed to solve the problem by just replacing the original LAN cable. I think the cable has fault somewhere that it affects the signal travelling through the LAN cable. Somehow, my notebook's network card has a higher tolerance than the network card in my Desktop PC, I guess.

7. kimsland

And the first reply was correct

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

8. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 483

Sounds like a bad crimp in the patch cable. Happens quite a bit if the patch cable is not manufactured and tested at the factory.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.