Puzzled over Ethernet Cable connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am puzzled over the connectivity of my ethernet cable. I wonder if anyone faced this problem before and have any solution.

Senario:
1 Ethernet cable
1 Notebook
1 desktop PC

Problem:
I was trying to get my desktop PC connected to a network but failed. I have no problem connecting my notebook to the network using the same LAN cable nor do I have problem connecting my desktop PC to the network using another LAN cable. What went wrong?

Thanks..

I don't fully understand what you're saying here...

Are you saying that you have an Ethernet cable that works for your laptop but not for your desktop?

Yes, the same LAN cable works on my notebook but doesn't work on my desktop PC. Both my notebook & PC has got the same network configuration, e.g. workgroup, IP address (fixed IP is used on my network). I also tested my PC on another LAN cable to makesure its' network card is working.

When you connect to a hub or router or modem you must use a "Patch" ethernet cable
But when connecting two computers directly together you must use a "cross-over" ethernet cable

Dear Kimsland & MetalX,

Thanks for your replies. I managed to solve the problem by just replacing the original LAN cable. I think the cable has fault somewhere that it affects the signal travelling through the LAN cable. Somehow, my notebook's network card has a higher tolerance than the network card in my Desktop PC, I guess.

Sounds like a bad crimp in the patch cable. Happens quite a bit if the patch cable is not manufactured and tested at the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back