Pwn2Own 2011 coming March 9 with $125,000 prize pool

By Matthew
Feb 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. TippingPoint has announced the fifth annual Pwn2Own competition, an event that challenges hackers to find security flaws in software such as web browsers. Pwn2Own 2011 will take place on March 9, 10 and 11 in Vancouver, BC during the CanSecWest conference and the contest is backed by a $125,000 prize pool that will be distributed among participants who successfully exploit applications. TippingPoint will front $105,000 of the prize money, while the remaining cut comes courtesy of Google.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

I think it's a great idea. It entices hackers to use their skills to help software developers instead of exploiting them for not so legal activities.

"Competitors who successfully exploit Internet Explorer" I hope it isn't every competitor. They might write a lot of checks.
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,261   +92

That isn't the full sentence: "Competitors who successfully exploit Internet Explorer, Safari or Firefox will bag a $15,000 cash prize as well as a laptop."

Multiple competitors exploiting multiple browsers. I assume they won't cut a check for every person that finds a flaw in IE, just the first or it's not much of a competition.
  4. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

True true. I'm surprised opera isn't on the list though.
  5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,261   +92

Yeah, it's a bummer Opera isn't included. There's a little info about that on Wikipedia:

"The Opera web browser was left out of the contests as a target: The ZDI team argues that Opera has a low market share and that Chrome and Safari are only included "due to their default presence on various mobile platforms". It's also been suggested that Opera is left out because many of the hackers themselves use Opera daily."
  6. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 955   +193

I wonder if they will be looking only at the full release versions of Firefox and IE, or if they will also include Firefox 4 beta ad IE9 beta.