Q code LED reads "00"

marveroluis

After a few months of not being on and a 1500 m car trip due to a move, the Asus Maximus VIII Gene mb, does turn on, the I7 fan runs but not the other two chassis fans, the status leds don't turn on and the scariest part is that the Q code shows 00 which, according to the manual is "not used"...do I have a demised mb due to the trip vibrations? One of the HD works fine in another rig, the other, the one I have most data is asking to be formatted...I have taken off the Video card and the hard disks to no avail.I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

No POST?
Something loose OR a rundown CMOS battery - lets hope.
First I would remove and check CMOS battery - it should read 3.2v or better. While you are doing this, consult manual for the motherboard and 'clear CMOS'. If it won't POST, I would take it out of case, clean, and reassemble on bench top starting with basic components (PSU, motherboard, CPU, fan) to see what codes might be generated.

Oh well, did what you suggested, having only the PSU, MB and I7, cleared CMOS and the code continues to be 00, the 3V bat shows 3.08. I am in Rio in a rented apartment, voltage 110, no ground, would that have anything to do. By the way, the CPU doesn't heat at all, the fan runs. The MB has a safe boot button, also 00...
Thanks

"no ground" - I'm not an EE, but I think that makes possible static damage more likely - also the metal case can become electrified if there is a fault in the device

<3.1v for a CMOS battery is weak - replace it and see if that helps

You said PSU, MB & CPU w/fan and the fan runs but nothing else - no LEDs & no Beeps. Q-code of 00 appears to mean that the CPU is not intializing. So the problem is probably the Motherboard or the PSU or the CPU (brilliant conclusion, Inspector Clouseau!). Did the LEDs on the right edge of the Motherboard hidden near the PSU connection indicate anything? How about the PCH LEDs?

1500 miles in a car might cause problems if there is a heavy heatsink & fan being bounced around. Close inspection (magnification and strong light) of CPU and motherboard socket seems like a good idea. Bent pins? Brown spots? Warped CPU?

The next step would be to replace PSU with known good PSU, then same with CPU (this may require trip to repair shop for testing).

Last edited:
Dumb,dumb,dumb...,really sorry for wasting your time. Buenos Aires 220V, Rio 110V, thought the PSU switched
automatically...now on 110, everything is working except for the system time stuck in 2009. The upside is that everything got a good cleaning. Thanks again

220v in Buenos Aires??? I learn something every day. Just be glad your groundless electrics are only 110v.

Hi, all of Argentina, and a large chunk of Brazil, has 220V, here in Rio, I have both, as the AC runs with 220. All wall outlets have three prongs, the middle one (G), is probably connected spiritually...
Thanks again, everything is working fine including the main HD.
Regards

Back