Q6600 to 3.6 on EP35-DS3P

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaMsTeYr

first off specs i guess. Running a Q6600 on a EP35-DS3P board, and trying to overclock it to 3.6ghz... On Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with 6 120mm case fans (45 CFM roughly each)

I've a feeling i can't seem to get the voltages right, as when i try to Prime95 it, the system crashes.

These are the settings that i have in Gigabyte's M.I.T atm:
CPU Clock Ratio: 9x
CPU Host Frequency(Mhz): 400
System Memory Multiplier (SPD): 2.00

CAS Latency Time: 4
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4
Precharge delay(tRAS): 12

DDR2 OverVoltage Control: +0.35V (to 2.192v)
FSB OverVoltage Control: +0.10v (test values)
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control: +0.025 (test values)
CPU Voltage Control: 1.45000v

Damn thing doesn't like to sit stable and i'm not sure how to volt the southbridge and northbridge ><

You don't mention your temperatures... The Arctic 7 is a reasonable cooler, but might struggle at that sort of overclock.

I assume this is a G0 stepping Q6600, if it is a B3 then in my experience, you are somewhere near it's limit with that cooling.

Each CPU is different, and no ones results will be exactly transferable to your system. When I had a Q6600 G0, I ran it at 3.8gHz with 1.50v on water cooling, from what I remember it would run 3.6gHz at around 1.4750v of Vcore, so that might be a place to start. Notch up the FSB volts and (G)mch by one click at the same time, although it may not be necessary, it will reduce the chances of that being a problem.

Most importantly, monitor your temps carefully, a voltage increase will drive them up, and you might need to look at better cooling options.

Right right, i forgot to mention that. I'm getting around 67-69 on full stress and 37-39 idle on 3.4, i get around the same when i clock it to 3.6 but as soon as i fire up Prime95 the pc dies.

It is the G0 stepping as well, so yeah, you're right. 3.5 runs a bit unstable but i run 3.4 fine at 4.00 vcore which i find a bit weird.

EDIT: BTW, i don't have DES installed. I usually don't bother installing all this stuff since i OC and those get in the way of it.

Odd that it mentions i shouldn't go over 1.5 vCore. I used to set my pc to auto voltage and at 3.2 it set my vcore to 1.56 or something. that was scary ****. >_>

EDIT EDIT: I've tried to overclock the system back to 3.6 again, kicking my FSB to 0.30v over voltage and 1.475 vcore but its still not stable >_>

Then i tried a step lower, 3.5 at 0.15v over voltage and 1.45 vcore but that died as well..

I wonder if 3.4 is really my limit

I think then that you have reached the limit with that cooler. Stick to 3.4gHz until winter sets in or you can getting better cooling.

Your CPU needs more Vcore to go higher, but those temp figures are as high as you should ever go for regular use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back