Quad channel RAM in triple channel mobo?

Teh Snowman

Hi all,

I was looking at this set of RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-315&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

This is on a shell shocker deal and is currently cheaper than buying a set of the same ram in a 12GB set. I was wondering if I bought this set would I be able to use it in my motherboard which supports triple channel? Say, could I remove one stick and use the other 3?

Thank you!

The short answer is yes. There is no such thing as quad channel ram, or triple or double for that matter. Ram is ram and you run it in single, dual,triple mode that is determined by the memory controller and the motherboard architecture. ram kits are bundled as "dual channel, or "triple channel" meaning that they are ostensibly tested and certified to work together in tandem. usually it means that they were manufactured in the same lot and taken from the line in succession. You can use a portion of a triple channel kit for your dual channel setup, or parts of two dual channel if you like. The only caveat to this is tat the 4 GB modules seem to get a little more finicky than do the 2 GB mods. In all likelihood they will work just fine. But you might want to consider shelling out the extra for a certified set.
hope that helped.:)

Thanks for the reply,

That does help me out a lot. Just one more question; if I go with the setup compared to a triple channel 12gb set, would the performance be any worse?

Thanks again.

not sure what you are asking.
If you are comparing triple channel (using 2 dual channel kits) vs ( using a outright triple channel kit) then no. There is a more likely chance (albeit small) that you will get two modules that wont 'play together nice'.

Yeah that's sort of it. I was wondering if getting this quad kit and removing one stick vs a straight triple channel kit would have less performance. But that pretty much answers it.

Based on this I'll probably go with that quad set.

Thanks for the help!

Back