Quake II remaster could debut at QuakeCon next week

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Quake II arrived in 1997 as the second installment in the first-person shooter franchise. Gameplay largely mimics what was presented in the original albeit with some quality of life tweaks to improve mechanics, and a half dozen or so new weapons.

A remastered version of Quake II is looking increasingly likely, and rumors point to an imminent debut.

Back in June, South Korea's age ratings board published an entry for a remastered version of Quake II (complete with a mature rating). Established leaker billbil-kun now claims to have seen evaluation documents from other ratings groups including the ESRB and PEGI, and is confident that we'll see id Software announce the game at QuakeCon.

The leaker further claims the game will launch on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, Nintendo Switch, and PC. There's also mention that the game could land on Xbox Game Pass on day one.

A similar scenario played out in 2021 when Bethesda introduced a remaster of the original Quake for the game's 25th anniversary. The remaster featured improved graphics, a new expansion pack, and curated mods across a range of platforms and was priced at $10. With any luck, the remaster for Quake II will be more of the same.

If you can't wait until next week, perhaps Quake II RTX can hold you over.

The annual QuakeCon convention is scheduled to kick off on August 10 and run through August 13 at the Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center in Grapevine, Texas. This year's convention will be the first in-person meetup in three years and will see the return of the BYOC (bring your own computer) LAN party. In fact, the event is focusing exclusively on the BYOC concept and will not have an exhibit hall or general admission.

Those that can't make it out to Texas can keep up with all the festivities online as they'll be streamed live via Twitch. There's also a merch store should you want to pick up some official gear.

Permalink to story.

This is getting weird.

The day I buy the ROG Ally, TechSpot posts its review.

The day I play Quake Remastered for the first time in years, TechSpot posts this article.

I think TechSpot is watching me from the bushes. 🤔

Wish someone would continue the "doom reborn" that kind of stopped at version 1.65, even though I can't find any cheat codes. Sometimes, I just like to come home and "blow stuff up" without dying.

Wish someone would continue the "doom reborn" that kind of stopped at version 1.65, even though I can't find any cheat codes. Sometimes, I just like to come home and "blow stuff up" without dying.

You do understand it was user generated content right?

I'm excited! I hope it is decent...

And wow they are still doing the QuakeCon at the Gaylord... heh, I went there 17 years ago for a QuakeCon! Amazing they are still doing it. Really wish I could go as it was loads of fun - the biggest LAN party in the world.

Back