Qualcomm forecasts Snapdragon powered PCs by late 2012

By Leeky
Nov 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Qualcomm's Snapdragon processors are typically found in phones and tablets, but during an investor meeting in New York yesterday, the company announced plans to launch Snapdragon processors into the PC…

Read the whole story
  2. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 111

I'm honestly excited for Windows on ARM, if only because it gives me more options!
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

I also think its pretty cool, it anything, it means PC's could be produced very cheaply, I mean, a high ARM based processor probably won't cost any where near as much as a low range intel? Or at least, if that can be the case that would be awesome. I bet this snap dragon would beat the pants out of an atom.
  4. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

A quad core Krait based CPU running at 2.5GHz is about the equivalent of a core 2 duo. I still don't see the point of ARM based desktop PCs.
  5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

It's quite stupid what I keep seeing around the web...

Just because Windows will support ARM, does not mean desktops will. ARM is just not ready for the demands of desktop computing. When Microsoft meant Windows will support ARM, they meant, of course, support in tablet form factors.
  6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,681   +86

+1 lawfer
    I don't see ARM getting any headway in Enterprise, and that is where the real money is. Somehow, people forget that enterprise customers do not change or port their software solutions to newer platforms that easily. At best ARM based mobile products will get a boost and probably will be more competitive in this space.
  7. > "I still don't see the point of ARM based desktop PCs."

Security, security, security!
    Windows on ARM will not be able to run software designed and compiled for previous versions of Windows. Many of these old programs have never been designed with security in mind. Some old programs running on Windows today where developed in the pre-internet era. This also means that none of the existing viruses, trojans, spyware, malware etc. will be able to run on the ARM architecture. This will be a big selling point with companies. Companies can run their legacy software on ARM utilizing a connection to a Windows terminal server, which guaranties an excellent level of security.