Qualcomm unveils 1.5GHz dual-core chip for smartphones

By Jos
Aug 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Even though they just started shipping 1.2Ghz processors in June, and we have yet to see those in a mobile phone, Qualcomm has announced it will ship the third iteration of its popular Snapdragon chip by the end of this year. The new QSD8672 should deliver a significant upgrade from the first generation Snapdragon found in such phones as the Nexus One and EVO 4G, using a smaller 45nm manufacturing process and featuring two cores operating at up to 1.5 GHz.

Read the whole story
  2. Very soon these phones are going to outpace older computers. I would love to see benchmarks comparing this processor to my old P4 clunker
  3. cruza9

cruza9 Newcomer, in training

Maybe they should start implementing 3D on smartphones. :)
  4. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

From the looks of those specs it has out paced my 5 year old laptop :p
  5. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Other notable features include 1080p video playback and recording, support for display resolutions up to 1440 x 900,

Isn't that somewhat contradictory? You can't really watch a 1080p video on a screen lower than 1920x1080.
  6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,042   +84 Staff Member

Princeton, if the device has video output you could watch 1080p video on an external display.
  7. casperinmd

casperinmd Newcomer, in training

Awesome! With my 1ghz on my Evo and 6 hours of heavy phone/data use, with a dual core 1.5ghz I will get 25 minutes of use!

Seriously, it is not the CPU speed we need to be concerned with here, we need to push the battery folks to engineer up some new technology to keep up.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.