Quantum Break is finally headed to Steam in September

Scorpus

Staff member

Back when Windows 10 and the revamped Windows Store launched, Microsoft wanted to bolster their collection of games through first-party titles. Quantum Break was one such game, which is why it launched in February as a Windows 10 and Windows Store exclusive.

In what shouldn't surprise long time PC gamers, making Quantum Break exclusive to Windows 10's app store wasn't a successful move by Microsoft. The company admitted several months ago that the game wasn't their best release, which is why it will be coming to Steam and a retailed boxed copy in September.

Bringing Quantum Break to Steam is the right move. The games marketplace is by far the biggest on PC, and the gaming community often frowns upon releases that are exclusive to other stores. Had Microsoft released the title onto Steam alongside the Windows Store to begin with, they could have potentially avoided a weak launch while giving the game more exposure.

In any case, Quantum Break will be available to purchase through Steam from September 14 at a new price of $40. The game will no longer require Windows 10 or DirectX 12, so gamers running Windows 7 (64-bit) or newer will be able to enjoy the action-adventure shooter. All the patches that fixed numerous technical issues with the game will also be included in the Steam version.

Those who want to purchase a boxed copy of Quantum Break will be able to do so from September 14 as well. The five-disc release does require a one-time Steam activation, however the game also comes with a companion book, soundtrack CD, some posters, and a 'making of' documentary on Blu-ray.

Permalink to story.

It's good to know the whole DX12 / Windows 10 thing, can be tweaked if need be and only kept there for holding it exclusive. IE: Update your damn OS, if you want to play our game. Otherwise miss out on our "exclusive" games, which probably have flopped already.

I wonder if people will use this as leverage, because it was done once and it could be done again. Simply locking it behind these "exclusive walls" isn't helping them and burning bridges, when the game could otherwise be a likely bigger hit in the long run. I'm just curious how this will play out, now that Microsoft did a 180 after seeing it's bad sales figures.

Thank god, just upgraded to Windows 10 but it didn't take more than an hour or two to see exactly what everyone has been complaining about when it comes to the Windows store and games. The game just went from "maybe pick it up on sale" to instant pre-order, hopefully the other store exclusives follow suit as well (and aren't hampered by unwieldy DRM).

And why would anybody buy it, after it has been confirmed there are no future updates planned for the windows store version of the game?

Nobody likes abandoned games. MS screwed up hard here, and probably tanked the windows store for another 5 years as far as mainstream game sales goes.

Between OS exclusivity and paid online, every attempt Microsoft has made at "consolising" pc gaming has fallen flat on its face. It's fantastic.

Thank god, just upgraded to Windows 10 but it didn't take more than an hour or two to see exactly what everyone has been complaining about when it comes to the Windows store and games. The game just went from "maybe pick it up on sale" to instant pre-order, hopefully the other store exclusives follow suit as well (and aren't hampered by unwieldy DRM).
Their store is totally ignoranable. Been using it since release and I only opened up their store once when I first installed the OS. Afaik though the game still has performance problems that were never addressed (dunno if they were all fixed).

Their store is totally ignoranable. Been using it since release and I only opened up their store once when I first installed the OS. Afaik though the game still has performance problems that were never addressed (dunno if they were all fixed).
That's what I've heard, it's going to be interesting to see if it runs any better outside the Windows Universal Platform. There's also hope that the DX11 client behaves better than DX12, but thankfully we will have Steam's generous refund policy to fall back on if it still runs like garbage.

LOL! ...and to all you MS lovin' schmucks out there that have been touting MS as a great company who makes great products and how you should jump to Win 10 because you won't be able to run games like this without it and jumped onto that Win 10 bandwagon like a bunch of aimless cattle, I say, "Blah! Hahahahahah! Suckaz!"

Back