Question about Bios settings for AGP card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw23

I have a system with a Mach Speed P4MSD-800 Mobo with a Pheonix Award Bios, and a GeForce FX5200 256MB video card.

I was poking around in bios today and I noticed in the "AGP & Bridge Control" section, the "AGP Aperture Size" setting is set to "[128M]". The card is recognized in windows as being a 256MB card. Should the bios setting actually be set to 256M instead or is this setting not related to the size of the onboard memory of the card? Would it make any difference to change this?

Also, "AGP Fast write" and "AGP 3.0 Calibration Cycle" are disabled, should these actually be enabled?

These settings were set automatically and I didnt change any to see what happens as I dont know what they are. All opinions on the matter are welcome.

This is a question that has eluded people for a long time. As far as aperture is concerned, read this, it does a much better job of explaining it than i probably could.

AGP Fast Write and AGP 3.0 Calibration Cycle should definitely be ON. AGP Fast Write speeds up communication on the AGP bus between the card and the CPU, and AGP 3.0 Calibration Cycle automatically adjusts the timing on your AGP 8X card so that it runs stable.

Cool, that link was pretty informative, I wasnt every close to what it actually was :cool: .

I know the FX5200 isnt a great card but maybe those are the reasons it is pretty crappy on that system. I will probably try the calibration and fast write first, and if that works out then I will play with the AAS and see what happens.

I am waiting on a PSU for this system as it has low voltages and fluctuating rails, I just turned it on today to check something and noticed these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back