Question about dual booting XP and Vista in RAID 0 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question regarding dual booting windows xp and vista. I've been running this setup for a while now. I have vista on a raid 0 array and xp on a single hard drive. If I want to switch betwen OSes, I have to go into the BIOS and change the boot HDD. The thing is, everytime I boot into XP, I get the new hardward wizard for both drives that are using teh raid 0 array. Then I get a message saying there was an error and they can't be installed. which is fine, since xp was not installed with raid drivers. It's getting annoying though. I just bought a drive identical to the one XP is installed on. I'm debating on setting up 2 raid 0 arrays, (the one I have now for vista, and one new one for xp) If I installed both OSes on raid 0 arrays, I shouldn't get these errors, right? and then I can also boot into the OSes normally, i.e., a screen on startup asking me which OS to boot into, right? Or is raid even worth it? and I could just install them on single drives and have all single drives. I've read mixed reviews about raid 0, some reviews say 20% increase, some say no increase. I have a evga 680i mobo.

I would have thought that when you installed the second OS the bootloader would have been modofied to give the choice of boot drive on startup.

Perhaps editting the boot.ini would work (an example; http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/30334191/dual-boot--need-bootini.aspx ).

Do some research in that area.

As to Raid performance, this is a VERY informative article as it draws insight into the whole 'speed' issue re the interface between all components;

http://www.integratedsolutions.org/performance.htm

I had problems with this since each OS was on a different hard drive and one was installed on a raid array and the other on a single hdd (no raid). I had difficulty (evga forums claimed it was not possible to do that). I tried to use vistabootpro but it wouldn't find the xp install. that's because xp had to boot from a single hdd and vista had to boot from the raid array. These were two different boot devices and with this mobo I just couldn't get it to work. I tried everything. I had to disconnect the raid drives and install xp on the single drive. (the xp setup was not recognizing my other drives besides the raid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back