Question about motherboard/processor

Recently my computer started to stop in the middle of what I was doing and the screen would turn completely black and I would get no response to my keyboard or mouse. I've tried many steps ie - removing ram, reseting cmos, disconnecting and reconnecting all power and components, using the onboard video card and my PCI-E card and still no luck. I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy a new processor or a new motherboard or possibly both? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

1. Check the capacitors on your motherboard. The cap heads (the top end) should be flat. Are any bulging.

2. How old is your system?

3. What is the make of your power supply? I am wondering if you are dealing with a failing power supply.

first things to diagnose-

#1 PSU- check with a PSU tester AND a multimeter. If bad, or even in doubt, swap it out.
#2 - RAM - ram can and does go bad sometimes. Run a good ram testing tool. There are several on the net for FREE
#3 - check your motherboard for bulging capacitors. If it is old or a cheaply made board, capacitors will deteriorate over time and with heat. Any type of leakage or bulges are bad.
#4 - check to see if the CPU has become unseated- as well as the ram. firmly reseat. (ensure you ground yourself against static)

Back