Question about my hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wibtr

So I have a 40gb hard drive.(I know it's lame.) But when I click on the properties of my C drive, the total used and free space only adds up to like 33gb. Is something wrong? Thanks.

<Post deleted by moderators and user banned for 24 hours>

Make another such post and the ban becomes permanent

wigger, the difference is probably files you have saved recently on the HD. Cinders, I think you should read the TOS before posting another reply like that!

When you save the files to your HD, they are there, no delay. Did you just reformat or something? Are you saying this drive is clean, except for OS?

Go Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Here you can see if any space is unallocated and how large (windows thinks) your HDD is

It could be a drive jumper limiting you to 32gb (check the manual for the drive)
Or a BIOS issue in that your mobo does not support drives larger then 32gb

Both can probably be circumvented

hard drives are never exactly as big as they say they are when they're formatted

it's a problem that's been about for ages that someone or other is looking into fixing, i read it on here a while ago

how much under the supposed size of the drive you are usually depends on how expensive it is. if you have a good drive then your 160gb might be 155gb but if you have a cheap one then it might be 150gb, it all depends on manufacturer

oh yeah suppose so haha, owned ;)

but i've found that drive sizes can differ quite a bit even if you have 3 or 4 40gb ones for example

as well, i used to have a usb flash drive that was 971mb (obv marketed as 1gb) but now i have a new one that's only 940 mb cos it's cheaper and from some random brand
i suppose that flash drives which is different but it's still storage :p

Depends on MFT data, partitions tables etc

Exactly how much space is available

Plus how much of the drive has been marked unusable for future use when bad sectors develop etc etc

And the list goes on :p

Per Hansson said:
Go Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Here you can see if any space is unallocated and how large (windows thinks) your HDD is

It could be a drive jumper limiting you to 32gb (check the manual for the drive)
Or a BIOS issue in that your mobo does not support drives larger then 32gb

Both can probably be circumvented

When I do that it says 33.37 capacity.

What is listed under "Disk 0" on the left bottom pane?

That is the actual drive size... And is any space listed as unallocated here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back