TechSpot

Question about my PSU abilities

By Disturbed88
Nov 14, 2008
  1. i currently have a 400w power supply (yes i know, its small) and i was wondeing if i would be able to install another HDD.i currently have a 2.6ghz single core p4, a seagate 200gb SATA HDD, a acer dvdrom/cd-rw combo drive, 1.25gb ddr ram and a geforce 7600gs AGP x8 with the supplement power plugged in as i get a message saying i need it plugged in to utilise my graphics card completely.im hoping to install a Maxtor 80gb ATA HDD.i actually have the Maxtor plugged in and running as i type this but i dont have the supplement power plugged into my graphics card as i wasnt sure if having it all plugged in and turning on my pc would cause any damage.if anyone can help i would be very grateful

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,222   +231

Plug the power supply connection into the video card and leave it in. Install the new hard drive. If your system stalls or restarts, you may need a bigger power supply. If you don't notice any problems, you will be ok using that "small" 400 watt supply. You won't hurt the computer at all. I use a 430 watt supply and it is NOT small!

3. Disturbed88

Disturbed88 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 45

i have since decided not to use the second hard drive in there, i instead decided to have the neon on the front on my pc going(SHINY!:D), but i still thank you for your reply.its very useful to know it wont damage my pc,it may seem old but im still playing fallout3 lol

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.