TechSpot

Question about Overclocking

By Beanbag
Dec 26, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a question about video card overclocking: are pre-overclocked videocards (like my XFX 8600 GT) overclockable like an normal 8600 GT in a pre-assembled computer? I was just wondering since my card was already overclocked. And if they are, are they any harder to overclock? Thanks for taking the time to read.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Probably, but i wont go too far. You also need to be very wary of its temperature as pre built pc's usually have poor ventilation.
  3. Beanbag

Beanbag TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

Don't worry, I built my pc myself. This is the link to its casing- http://www.silentpcreview.com/article200-page1.html

I was just wondering if I could push my card just a little bit more to squeeze out that last bit of performance. Thanks for replying so quickly.
  4. Rik

To be honest, you may gain 1 or 2 on framerate but not a great deal more i suspect.
  5. Beanbag

Beanbag TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

Okay, thanks:). I guess that's not worth the risk.
  6. Rik

I personally would say so, others may disagree as im not a major overclocker. My system is 7% oc'd and my gfx is 12% oc'd.
  7. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 544

It's okay to overclock, but remember; it's shortens the lifespan of any hardware, especially a gpu.
  8. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

It's not really worth it to overclock an 8600-series card. Video card overclocks are really only worth it on high end cards, and the 8600 series is nothing if not mid-range. You really wouldn't notice a performance increase, so might as well not void the warrantee.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.