Question about Partitioning windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaorichan2009

How do you partition windows and how much space would be good for Ubuntu?
And do I need drivers. I used ubuntu before but my computer was so evil toward it especiallly with graphics... I need a back up OS right now.

You can download the ubuntu iso and run it as a liveCD, that way you could find out if your hardware is supported. I have made the switch to Ubuntu and been very happy with it for a year or more. I have another computer with Windows on it but I rarely fire it up. I would suggest at least a 10gig partition for ubuntu, 20 would give you more room for expansion. Here is a post from the ubuntu forums on this subject:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290781
All of my hardware was supported without needing drivers, but my pc is a few years old. Try looking in the ubuntu forums for threads about your graphics card, sound card, or other hardware you suspect might be a problem. There are lists of supported hardware as well

With storage being as cheap as it is, you might want to consider using another hard drive to install ubuntu on, that way you don't risk messing up your windows setup

I do have a second hard drive but im not sure how to use it. or partition it. I used it for storage. Do you need an Iso burner to put Ubuntu on a computer. I only have DVDs at the moment can it be written to a dvd?

the second drive was a Recovery drive that came with my computer. I dumped it and threw music on it. Im lost right now. Maybe I shouldnt do anything till i get my friend over here.

Ok Kaorichan2009 .... you don't have TWO drives. You have ONE drive that is already partitioned. I'm assuming it's the C: part and the D: part (Recovery). This drive is your backup drive to restore Windows if the C: crashes. It is not meant for music. I understand that you aren't very in touch with computer jargon but please do try and be more specific when posting. See this thread ..... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic33297.html

Spyder_1386 :)

So since its got a partition in it I can put Ubuntu on it with out a problem?
Its not deemed recovery anymore after I put XP on it it was changed from D: to I: and had no name to it anymore so I just dropped music on it not knowing any better.
Its all done! I have Ubuntu on here now! Best place to hide from... >< conficker till it goes away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back