Question about reinstalling Windows 10

Lou3

I'm reinstalling Windows 10 because I'm upgrading to a new CPU and motherboard. This is my first time reinstalling on a PC with more than one physical drive (an SSD and an HDD), so I want to make sure I understand how to handle the data drive. After I reinstall Windows 10 on the SSD, will the data files on the HDD (documents, music, etc.) be automatically recognized and accessible like they are on the current PC? Or should I just wipe both drives at the outset and then move the backed-up data files to the HDD after the reinstall is finished?

Thanks!

Hi Let me see if I understand you. You're upgrading because you're installing a new CPU and MB? You have twp hard drives?
You're going to reinstall W10? If you're changing MB, you will probably have to get W10 installation media Where is your data stored now? I'm not sure if the new CPU and MB will recognize your HDD drive? Looks like you got a answer.(y)

With Macrium Reflect, (the paid version only, I think), You can restore to new hardware, from the boot time recovery option.
Post #2 should help.
Post #5 too.
Having a Microsoft Account is helpful.
I've switched between OS's from Macrium system images & they were automatically activated because of my Microsoft Account.
If you have complete system images & you screw up you can try again easily.
Just my 2 cents worth. :)

EDIT--- Never rely on any one answer.
Use Google to do research on your issue.
If you have system images to fall back on you can try things without fear of really screwing things up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back