Question about the AGP slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

boy_from_MK

My friend has the intel i845-ITE8715 and that motherboard has 6 PCI,and one AGP x4 slot.Currently he has the geforce 2 mx 400 64 mb(second gen T&L,no pixel shader support..)and wants to know,because he hasn't got an internet connection at home,he asked me to do him a favor: To ask you if he can put the GeForce fx5500 From PALiT on his AGP x4.I think that he can put it,because on many reviews i have seen the AGP 8x/4x support for the specs of the card.His agp is 2.0(because you know-agp 8x is agp 3.0).Now,i have seen that the card supports agp 2.0 and 3.0 .Does this mean he can put it?Or if you can recommend a card that can be put on the agp x4 but with the 250 Watt PSU,some better than the gf FX5500,just for playin' farcry on med-high, nfs: most wanted and carbon, GTA san Andreas...? AGAIN: I AM DOING THIS FOR MY FRIEND,THIS ISN'T MY PC!

The problem is you have two standards. One for the power supply, which limits what can be used. And another for the AGP slot
He will have problems with the 8X in some 4X slots, but I do not know that board.
Most of the better online sites will tell you what the AGP cards they sell will require... as will the AGP manufacturers if you dig deeply enough.

boy_from_MK said:
Now,i have seen that the card supports agp 2.0 and 3.0

If you are absolutely sure that this card does support both versions it is likely it is a universal AGP version which is very likely for the later versions.

So the card will fit in either X4 or X8 sockets because the card should have both key slots.

An AGP 4x\8x card will work in a 4x slot without any issues. The FX5500 isn't really a power drainer, so the PSU will be fine too, since the card needs a 250W minimum. Just make sure the PSU is able to deliver at least 18A on the +12V rail. Otherwise, you'd need a new PSU, preferably a 300W one.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
An AGP 4x\8x card will work in a 4x slot without any issues. The FX5500 isn't really a power drainer, so the PSU will be fine too, since the card needs a 250W minimum. Just make sure the PSU is able to deliver at least 18A on the +12V rail. Otherwise, you'd need a new PSU, preferably a 300W one.

Ok,so it will work,right? With the 250 watt.. :rolleyes:

AGP is backwards compatible and the FX 5500 is an outstanding card. But it is also a very old card. I last used one 4 years ago. New games will more than tax this card on high res. have fun!

Tedster said:
AGP is backwards compatible and the FX 5500 is an outstanding card. But it is also a very old card. I last used one 4 years ago. New games will more than tax this card on high res. have fun!

I am not talking about playing games on high res or some newer games.I meant playing farcry, GTA: San Andreas, Nfs: Carbon, NFS: Most Wanted, Some football games,also,there is a bioshock hack that you can make the game to require the Shader Model 2.0,not 3.0,here is the link http://www.paolofranchini.com/shshock/viewforum.php?f=1

Also,he doesn't want to play the newest games.I saw on youtube one day- F.E.A.R in overclocked fx5200(imagine what will be on the 5500),here is the link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wnZpdO9jrbU .So,that solves it-The fx5500 can run F.E.A.R in minimum settings.Also,call of duty 1,2 and 3 can be played on this card without any lag.Also,i think it might play COD4: Modern Warfare with the Shader Model 2.0 hack,but the GFX will suck!So,if its an old card,it can still play games that are to the 2007 year.The 2008-I DO NOT THINK SO!

Now that it has been established that the card in question will not have any compatability issues and your friend is happy to play games in low res and settings then go for it.

So tell your friend happy gaming from me:grinthumb

hehe:)...i'll tell him.But,can he put the fx5950 ultra with his PSU and motherboard?(He asked me to tell you),because on some forums i saw that the fx5950 ultra was outstanding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back