Question about USB PCI cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an issue with my usb devices. It seems when my HP Deskjet D2660 is connected by usb port none of my other devices connected by usb ports will either work or the devices are recognize, but I can not get access to the data on them.

I have a dynex 12 in 1 card reader/writer, Gigaware 4 port usb 2.0 high speed hub, 3 1 GB memory sticks, and a 8 GB memory stick. Prior to installing the printer all of these devices worked perfectly with transferring data from my xD, SD, and miniSD to my memory sticks or to the hard drive with no problems. When I connect my printer, then that is when the problems occur I even have a hard time accessing my 1 GB sticks from the two front usb ports which I am assuming it is due to the fact that they are not directly connected to the motherboard, so do not get their power directly from the power source where the 4 other ports in the back do.

However, when my unplug the printer from its usb connection, then everything works fine. It seems when I need to use my printer I can not expect to use my other devices and when I want to use then I need to disconnect my printer everytime.

I was advised to get a 4 - port usb 2.0 PCI card and that should solve the problem. I tried everything else; I updated the chipset for my Dell Optiplex 170L, the usb divers for the bios I also updated to the latest version for my PC, and it seems the PCI card is the way to go?

I am still a bit unfamiliar with the importance and need for PCI cards? Is due to the bandwidth? Maybe my printer is using to much bandwidth assumed for the usb ports or is it a power consumption issue?

What would be the advantage in getting a 4 - port usb 2.0 pci card for my computer and should it have a separate power source? Any deals online for purchasing one?

Thanks,

McCollum

It isn't a bandwidth problem, it is probably a power problem. My dad had a very similar issue with an HP Printer and a USB Hub, the hub wasn't powered.

I imagine if you buy a powered hub that will fix the problem. A PCI USB card will fix the problem too and be cleaner, but obviously much less portable. Either solution will work, take your pick.

Thanks for the Reply

I figured it would be a power problem. My printer has it's own power source and I have already have chosen to get a 4 port usb hub pci card for my desktop and it is likely that some of my usb ports are for usb 1.1 rather than 2.0. Therefore the card will add on four usb 2.0 ports and with my portable 4 port usb 2.0 high powered hub I will have 7 usb 2.0 ports available for use.

Thanks again for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back