Question about Windows Vista OEM license

jephph

So, I installed Windows Vista 32 OEM on a computer. I'd like to format the hard drive and start over. If I install Vista 32 OEM again using the same key, will it work?

As long as you only have the license in use on one computer it will install with the key.

Where it gets foggy is the licensing of installing using a license from a different / old computer on a new/rebuilt computer. If you try to use the disk you got from the manufacturer installing Windows on a different system you'll probably run into problems. If you have a generic OEM disk it doesn't matter what hardware you install Windows on as long as the license is on only one system. You will need to install drivers from the manufacturer's website or motherboard box.

Hi, If you haven't done anything yet about the reinstall of an OEM O/S, check with a program such as 'Speccy' by Piriform, in the 'Operating system section', what your product key actually is.
I have seen a Laptop bought from a well-known UK pc dealer, where the Product key on case sticker, was not the real (activated) one. So in that case I made a note of the key as given by 'Speccy', written down on paper, in case it was needed in the future. There are several other programs that will search the pc for the product key.
e.g. Magical jelly bean key finder. (Yes it's real.)

Back