TechSpot

Question about wireless adapter

By Colin246
Aug 7, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A couple years ago I bought a new computer and installed a wireless adapter into it. It connects to a Linksys Wireless-G router. I recently bought a customized PC and took it into a computer store to be assembled and the technicians said that this adapter is not compatible with Vista. It is also linksys and it is a wireless-g adapter. I know the router works with Vista because it says so in its specifications when I found the exact model number (WRT54G). I'm very frustrated that my adapter apparently does not work with Vista. Is there a patch that makes it Vista-friendly? Or will I have to purchase a new adapter? Thanks for any help.

2. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,631

Vista is only friendly with drivers that are certified by Microsoft. if that adapter does not have those drivers then it will never work. I have a Vista computer that the sound card quit working on when SP1 came out and I have never been able to get it to work again.

3. Colin246

Colin246 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

I found out that there are drivers for the wireless adapter model I have. (WMP54G) The Linksys site has several vista drivers for this model; now I hope that my wireless adapter is version 4.0 or 4.1. Otherwise, I'll just have to buy a new adapter.

4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,631

Good luck.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.