Questions about installing drivers for new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikial

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 desktop PC with a bad video card. Thanks to help from this forum (AtK SpAde was very helpful) I have ordered a new video card and am ready to install it. However, I have questions regarding installing the new video drivers. Do I need to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new card and accompanying drivers? Can someone walk me through the process?

Thanks!

Problems with Driver Sweeper

LookinAround

I downloaded Driver Sweeper as you suggested and saved to my desktop. When I opened the application to use it, I received the following error message.
"To run this application you must first install one of the following versions of .NET Framework V2.0.50727"
Can you explain to me what needs to be done to run this application so I can get rid of the old drivers and install my new card?

You need to install NET Framework (from Microsoft)

You need to run Windows Update. Are you using XP? If yes, click Custom (not Express). And install
1) All hardware optional updates
2) All critical updates
3) Software optional updates are up to you EXCEPT if you see any for NET framework be sure to install those

Repeat Custom Windows Update over and over until it finally returns with "no more updates" (other then any software optional

Unable to get Windows updates to use Driver Sweeper and install new Video card

I am unable to get the necessary Windows updates to run Driver Sweeper. I'm running Windows XP. Since the video card is fried, I'm running the system in Safe Mode. I can't get the updates and am getting MS error message 0x8007043c. Is there another way to remove the old video card drivers without using Driver Sweeper? Other solutions??? I need help to install my new card!

<snip> Since the video card is fried, I'm running the system in Safe Mode.<snip>

Oh! i just caught you said you're in safe mode??? Why must you be in safe mode? Use advanced startup options and enable VGA mode so windows will only use a generic video driver. See here

And then also tell me if the error occurs when windows is looking for updates?? or when it's installing updates? and which update?

Advanced Start Up Options for Fried Video Card

Thanks for the link to the other options. I did not know I could use other start up options with the fried card other than Safe Mode. I'll follow the steps and go from there. If I have issues I'll let you know. Thanks again for the help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back