Questions about Memory/Pagefile/Extra Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

escaflownev1

1. Hi, I have 768mbs of ram installed on my computer and most of it is not being used. I would like to know if there is any way i can devert some of this ram towards my graphics card, since it only has 64mbs. I know this is possible with laptops but i havent heard of doing it for pcs.

2. hi i was considering installing my old cpu's hard drive onto my newer one in conjunction with my present hard drive. The old one is 20gbs. I dont really need the extra memory, but i was just wondering if there downfalls to installing and extra harddrive? Will it some how decrease system performance? I was also considering to make a large portion this extra hard drive as a paging file. I have 768mb ram. Will adding it as a page file help? or should keep the setting of having 0 paging file as i currently have?

3. hi i currently have 768mb of ram on my system. This ram is never fully used, i was wondering however if increasing my paging file from 0 (current setting) will somehow increase system performance?

4. how much ram do you have on your system?

If you aren't having problems the way it is now dont' change it. 768 is really pushing it on not running a pagefile, you probably really can't get away with it and do too much at once. I doubt you'd see any 'performance' increase by creating a 1.5 gig page file, you'd just have a better chance of running lots of stuff at once.

You won't see any decrease in performance. Back in the day you might if you had a ATA100 drive and an ATA33 drive on the same cable and were accessing both at the same time. But that 20 gig is likely an ATA100 drive so there won't be any issue.

Putting the pagefile on that drive is probably a decent idea, unless your current drive is an ultra fast new drive. No need to make your pagefile a major portion of the drive. 1-2 gigs should be sufficient.

1 gig would be as large as u would need, but if u have been operating with the mem in u're system and have not had problems why change a page file will opp slower than the mem. although I do not think u can use u're mem for the video if u do not have onboard video. and yes putting the second hard drive in that machine will not hurt a thing, may I suggest u put u're op system on the smaller hdd and use the larger one for storage this will save a lot of backing up, and the D: drive can be used as a backup if it is just needed for a short time.

That last question was not a thread but it was a reply to someone else's question. I have no idea how it became like that.

Is there a way to put my os on my smaller drive without a xp cd, but i have and xp upgrade cd. Also my smaller drive has xp installed on it, but it has many problems and i was like to somehow reinstall it. However without any reformating software or xp cd on the smaller drive I'm not sure if thats possible.

Sorry about #4, in the search for all your posts window I guess when I saw it being another thing about ram and your 3 other threads I assumed it was its own thread too so I merged it all.

To your question: You can clone your current hard drive and then restore it over to the 20 gig I think. You'd need Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to do that and they aren't free.

Your XP Upgrade disk will do a full install of XP if you can show you have a previous version of Windows.

previous version

Im not sure if the previous version is still installed. How could i check that?

btw: Page (swap) size should be 2-3x the installed ram, NOT the displayed ram
from the system properties.

escaflownev1 said:
Im not sure if the previous version is still installed. How could i check that?
You wouldn't, during the install it asks you to insert a previous version of Windows install cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back