TechSpot

Quick Laptop Battery Question

By Gamree
Jan 30, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, so when I do buy the ASUS g50vt-x1 laptop...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...vt-x1&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218012519873

...I was wondering if I would be able to easily replace the 6-cell battery with this 9-cell one:
    http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchan...de=M50-G50-9-Cell-90-NED1B2100&Category_Code=

Would I be able to do that without much hassle, if at all? Is that 9-cell battery compatible with that laptop? And is it as simple as, say, just plugging in the 9-cell battery instead of the 6-cell, or will it be a technically thorough job that requires screwdriver, nuts and bolts, blah blah blah, etc? And would a 9-cell battery actually give me much of a difference in battery life than a 6-cell? (sorry, lots of questions, I know, lol)

Yeah, sorry, I'm more of a software Geek rather than a hardware Geek, and I'm still trying to get a good grasp of all this. Also seeing how I've always owned a desktop and never a laptop, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, sorry if this is in the wrong board, I didn't know if it should go under General Hardware or Mobile Computing, but seeing how this is mainly about a battery, I chose General Hardware.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

You should be able to... but it depends on the space available... The 9 cell battery sticks out from the laptop a couple of inches on many models... You need to read the specs for you laptop on the ASUS site.
  3. Gamree

Gamree TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 52

Okay, thanks. I'd appreciate hearing from some more people too if I can before deciding to look further into this.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.