Quick question... i hope :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got a Dell E521... the ram installed is 2 1 gigs of pc 5300. im not sure if its 533mhz, or 667.

my question is, does it matter, can i mix mhz? see, i want to add 2 more 1 gig sticks, and i found a good deal on some pc 5400 667 mhz, but im not sure if i can use them. id even get some pc 6400 if i was allowed.

also, i went to dell web site and looked at the ram upgrade for the E521, and it said it supports PC2-6400 / 800 MHz???

Crucial and kingston but say it doesnt support 800.

so if any one out there can give me a few dos and donts, that would be great.

thank you.

hey, tedster? whats the point of havint a forum to help people, if all you guys do is say go read something else.

and that something else never even answers our question. obviously if it did, we wouldnt of waisted our time submitting a post for help.

maybe im wrong and this forum isnt here to help people, its here to guide them to guides. well i can find those on my own.

im sure theres a forum out there, where someone will take the time to be helpful and answer the qustion i am asking. not just try to send me to some vague answer.

thanks anyways.

Tedster is trying to help u out. PC5300 runs at 667Mhz so yeah you can add the ram you want to, dont mix diff speeds of ram, stay with PC5300

You can mix different speeds, since the motherboard will automatically clock down faster RAM sticks to meet the speed of the slowest in the group. But it's generally not a good idea, since it causes compatibility issues.
And Tedster is right, you should have read the RAM guide. The reason he told you so is because otherwise, we'd have hundreds of threads like this one asking the same thing over and over again. Most people don't use the search function to search for old threads with the same problem, hence the curt reply. :)

it's called reading the FAQs and guides. It gets tiresome answering repeatative questions from people who don't do their homework first. The vast majority of questions are answered in the faqs and guides.

look there first next time.

ok i read your ram guide, but it only help me a little.

my question is, is the speed the 667 mhz, or is it the pc 5300?

and on your ram guide you said be wary of where you buy your ram, espically if you have a dell. well i made the mistake of buying a dell, so where do i go to get ram, dell makes you pay 10 times more for theirs.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back