Radeon HD 3650 AGP fan not working

I bought a HD 3650 AGP videocard and the fan doesn't want spinning. Power connection is 4-pin molex and power supply is Gigabyte Superb 460W. I have linux operating system and this catalyst is not showing fan speed or temperature unfortunately. By the way, the card is working, I can watching HD videos through vaaapi, but I don't want gaming and no need extreme 3D, only HD capability. Is there any chance to turn on the fan? Can I try connect to power the fan directly? How dangerous using this card without fan? :)

the card needs the fan to cool itself, so obviously you run the risk of killing the GPU when it overheats, which is very likely to happen with an inactive fan.

since you have a linux OS, it's very possible that the driver does not support automatic fan operation. usually the problem is the opposite, meaning the fan is at 100% all the time, but there are ways to manually set the fan speed with some unix commands i believe--but exactly what they are i don't know. the alternative would be to just swap the cooler for something that works off of the molex connection itself or one of the fan headers on the motherboard. personally, i would try to figure out the fan control first... in which you should be able to use the 'fancontrol' function.

I tested it last week and it seems my problem is the fan. First I checked the power output of videocard's fan-connector and it has power and I tried the fan how works when I connect directly into 12V but it is not moving.

I found the way to view temperature. I can see with that command:
aticonfig --od-gettemperature
Avarage temperature without fan is 75 celsius.

I tried to buy compatible fan to change it but nowhere found. But I found a nice cooler just it is a bit expensive. Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 (4 heat pipe). Is it compatible with my card?

I bought a HD 3650 AGP videocard and the fan doesn't want spinning.
Does this mean the card is fairly new? If it is still under warranty, why not return it or RMA it and get it replaced?

tried to buy compatible fan to change it but nowhere found. But I found a nice cooler just it is a bit expensive. Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 (4 heat pipe). Is it compatible with my card?

Sounds like your best option is a cooler that plugs directly into the motherboard (vs the graphics card PCB). The Accelero S1 will fit the 3650 but the AGP card may differ so you would need to find specific measurements (in mm) between the mounting holes in the PCB.

Back