Radeon HD 4850 BSOD

D

Dalton

I just got a Radeon 4850 HD card today and installed it and Windows won't boot up all the way. It will get past the Windows XP screen then it will stay blank. I also put a Rocket Fish 550w PSU in the computer. I had a video card in the computer before but I sold that and I put this one in and Windows won't boot properly and I thought maybe the old video card drivers were conflicting so I tried re-installing Windows but when it's about to get to the installation screen it will BSOD. What could be causing this? Thanks

Please post your system specs. Plus make and model if a retail computer. This will help someone help you.

Thanks for the quick reply! Well I moved the video cards and psu's around between 2 computers and the card works in the other computer and tried the psu's and they work fine and so it seems that the card just doesn't want to work in the other computer I'm trying to get going. The computer I am trying to get it to work on has the following specs:

It is a custom built computer
Asus P5WD2 Motherboard
2.8GHz Processor (Intel I believe)
2GB DDR2 Memory
160GB Hard Drive
550W Rocketfish PSU

The motherboard supports PCI-E X16 so I'm not sure what is going on here. My only guess now is that the motherboard doesn't support that kind of card or maybe the PCI-E slot is different. Any ideas?

I should have guessed a Asus board. No not really just spent the last month, Helping a friend try to get a amd graphics card to work on a asus board. Seem the more a google the problem. The more I found out . That asus boards don't seem to like these cards to well. Well hopefully some here might have a suggestion. Oh,did you disable your on board graphics .

Oh so maybe that is it then, just doesn't like that kind of card? Also the motherboard doesn't have onboard video so what I might have to do is just switch video cards and leave it like that for the meantime in order to have both computers running.

That would work. If you purchase a new card in the near future, I would try a nivia brand for this board. That was we ended up doing. Work great. Like I said though somebody here may have a solution to your problem.

Yea I always mainly used Nvidia cards and they always worked perfect for me and I only used an ATI card once before on an older computer, was a really old ATI card. Well thanks a lot for the replies and I will watch for some more replies if anyone has a fix. Thanks again!

Back