TechSpot

Radeon HD 4890 Crossfire graphics issues

By Hodsocks
Sep 5, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Have a problem with a pc with 2 x 4890 cards in crossfire config, recently on boot up the screen shows blue/green spots all over the screen, once in windows its often OK. I have tried updating the drivers which temporarily helped and also tried older drivers which again helped for a while. Not quite sure if its a driver problem or a problem with the cards themselves, what do you guys think?
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,889   +85

are these 4890's OC'ed? blue green spots/squares are often overheated/overclocked/ memory that is damaged. try slowing it down and see if the green spots stop. that will give you an indication as to if its the memory or not.
  3. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 526

Both cards are running at clock speeds, the case is a Coolermaster Elite 330 with standard case fans but appears to be running cool enough.
  4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,889   +85

remove the cards one at a time and to see if it is one of the cards, or a problem effecting both. If it does effect both, underclock them by 100-200Mhz and see if the green blocks stop. I am trying to confirm that it is the vram that is the issue.
  5. Hodsocks

Ok Red I will try that, it may be a couple of days tho before I get round to trying it.
  6. Hodsocks

System ran OK for about 4 hours today, everything inside case is pretty warm, ran some diagnostics on graphics memory and they passed OK, decided to fit another fan to the front of the case to try and cool things down a bit, Having run OK for so long we turned pc on and once on the desktop we had some graphics issues, blue screened for a few seconds and system rebooted back into windows and everything seemed to be OK again.
  7. Hodsocks

Finally resolved this problem, removed one of the cards and the problem was resolved, returned card to supplier, unfortunately they were unable to replace card, issued credit so replaced one 4890 left with 5870 card to give performance almost as good to 2 x 4890. System now runs cooler and quieter and windows experience index now gives higher result.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.