Radeon HD 5600 VPU recover has reset... no longer responding to graphics driver

bakurayuri

VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator or it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands
This phrase always pop out in my computer whenever I turned on my computer. After the phrase poped out, the computer will start lagging. The lagging I mean is like whenever you use safe mode (without graphic card) and you try to move some tab around with mouse, it will like lagging. I don't bother it but recently the problem turns worsen. Black screen poped out whenever I turn on, then sometime monitor won't show any desktop, sometime recover with the phrase above, sometime just lagged and auto restart. I tried to reformat but it still won't work. One day, I can't stand it any longer so I search the website for solution, one of the solution was "disable auto recover" if i remember correctly, and I did it. It don't work and furthermore, when I lagged, it auto restart and i can't open my computer anymore.

I restarted 5-10 times and it never work. But safe mode (network) or (without network) works properly without any black box or whatever thing, though it is still lag but it's understandable since safe mode is work without graphic card. So what is the main problem is going right here ? There is no flickering on the Window Startup, or anything black thing when I am using safe mode.

I hope there is a quick and simple solution so I won't go and buy a new graphic card. It cost a lot for me. Anyway, sorry for my bad english, english is not my native language.

Edit : I has no problem for a half year before this problem pop out from nowhere. I am using

ATI Radeon HD 5670
4gb Ram
Athlon 64 3000+ (1.81 ghz)

When in safe mode, Windows is not using the graphics card driver. While it is in safe mode the graphics card is still being used. If it wasn't, you wouldn't get any display at all.

Download the current AMD/ATI graphics driver that is compatible with your operating system. Then uninstall the old graphics driver from Add and Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista and Windows 7). Install the new driver and see if that fixes your problem.

Go here for your driver: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I installed it but when I open a program (ppstream, a program works like a tv) or internet (firefox for facebook) the phrase will still randomly pop out, but now it's better, it didn't pop out at the start of the computer and it don't affect the quality of the video, furthermore won't lagging. But still, a black screen may appear and it's annoying, is there any way to get rid of it ?. Anyway thanks for the help, please don't lock the topic because I am not sure the problem is still exist or not.

Just checking but did you uninstall the old driver first?

I didn't because I can't find the uninstall button in control panel/add or remove program. Only "Change" is listed there so I proceeded to install it. But after you reminded me about it, I tried to find the uninstall button and in the end I managed to find it. I already uninstalled it and after it was uninstalled, it reboot. After I reboot it, the first thing I do is replying your message, but before I do, the screen did a flicker without the pop out and no lagging. So I continue to type, but before I could finish it, it freezed, this cased never happened so far. So I restarted it, after I restart, i install the driver into my computer and log in into this website and start typing. In the middle of typing, it lagged again without the pop out, but I can feel the lagging when I trying the pull the tab of the firefox. Anyway, I am installing now, hope miracle will happen.

edit : unfortunately, it fail. When I start my computer, 3 flickering and 3 black screen for a long time before it returns to normal with the pop out phrase (VPU Recover has reset...) . I clicked no and it ask me for reboot, I clicked no because I know the same thing will keep on happening if I reboot. My computer is still lagging whenever I pull the tab.

Edit 2 : The problem persists me whenever I start my computer, just like old times, the thing pop out. Anyway to fix it ? Should I just buy a new graphic card or it can still be fix ?

edit 3 : my graphic card is not 5600 but sapphire HD 5670

Yes, it might be the graphics card now that the driver has been eliminated as the problem. Do you have access to another graphics card to test with?

Yes, it might be the graphics card now that the driver has been eliminated as the problem. Do you have access to another graphics card to test with?

I didn't because I don't have extra graphic card, but I will try to borrow my friend before I confirm here. It might take some time to borrow from them.

tested, nothing is wrong when I test my friend graphic card. And today, after I uninstalled again the driver (try to reinstall the driver), the screen is still flickering. So this mean it's my graphic card problem ? However, during the window xp loading screen, I cannot find any flickering or scratch which would happen when graphic card spoil. But when enter the computer, I could find the "scratch" in some place.

It sounds like there is something wrong with the graphics card. If your friend's card worked with no problem, then something is likely wrong with your card.

This phrase always pop out in my computer whenever I turned on my computer. After the phrase poped out, the computer will start lagging. The lagging I mean is like whenever you use safe mode (without graphic card) and you try to move some tab around with mouse, it will like lagging. I don't bother it but recently the problem turns worsen. Black screen poped out whenever I turn on, then sometime monitor won't show any desktop, sometime recover with the phrase above, sometime just lagged and auto restart. I tried to reformat but it still won't work. One day, I can't stand it any longer so I search the website for solution, one of the solution was "disable auto recover" if i remember correctly, and I did it. It don't work and furthermore, when I lagged, it auto restart and i can't open my computer anymore.

I restarted 5-10 times and it never work. But safe mode (network) or (without network) works properly without any black box or whatever thing, though it is still lag but it's understandable since safe mode is work without graphic card. So what is the main problem is going right here ? There is no flickering on the Window Startup, or anything black thing when I am using safe mode.

I hope there is a quick and simple solution so I won't go and buy a new graphic card. It cost a lot for me. Anyway, sorry for my bad english, english is not my native language.

Edit : I has no problem for a half year before this problem pop out from nowhere. I am using

ATI Radeon HD 5670
4gb Ram
Athlon 64 3000+ (1.81 ghz)

The error is fine it doesn't mean your hardware is bad, rather some type of conflict occurred or accurs. Go into safe mode and uninstall all video drivers,, then reboot back into safe mode and install the latest nvdidia or ATI choke,,,drivers WHQL,,, and put on stock clocks and let us know if it works. thx gl,

the problem become worse. Today I tried to turn on my computer, but in the end I couldn't. I have two hard disk at home (one is xp, another is 7), but I normally used XP. Today when I turned on XP, it show me error related to system/config ("Windows cannot start because of missing or corrupt file:
\windows\system32\config\system"). I tried to start at safe mode, but still the error popped up. So I tried to reformat, but blue screen of death "bad_pool_caller popped up. In the end, I plug in my window 7 hard disk instead of xp. I turned it on, but stuck in loading screen. Tried safe mode and it worked. Tried to reformat but bad_pool_caller popped up. So what should I do ? It is strange, I don't know whether graphic card or my motherboard is damage. I couldn't do anything right now ... except safe mode in window 7 ...

Back