Radeon HD4870

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

...card is driving me nuts, keeps overheating and cutting out the video. When this happens the monitor goes black (and I have to manually restart the system), I hear the fan spin up to 100% and the LED labeled "D1601" on the card lights up - meaning the card is overheating. This has happened three times in the last 24 hours with fan speeds at 60, 75 and 80%!! I've already applied a better thermal compound on the core which dropped idle temps so I don't know what to do. Is there some other factor I could be overlooking, something else causing the card to overheat like the NB or PCI-E 2.0 chip? I'm at a loss right now so I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Actually one user dismantled his Video Card and found lots of dust under the Heatsink.

Maybe use High Preasure air can to blow out any dust.

What do you...

Not sure on that theory, it's weird though. Upon approx an hour of running Mass Effect the card overheated (and did what I've described). Once I restarted the computer, I let it sit for a little bit, raised the fan speed to 75% this time and ran the game again. The card lasted longer playing the game, maybe an hour and a half, but then the same thing happened. So, I think it might have something to do with the ambient temp in my room. I tried the game a third time w/o letting things cool down and it only lasted maybe 10 mins, but the fan was on 80! Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because this card was fine on playing hours of Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back