Radeon RX 570 vs. GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Great article. I liked it. I dont always read these but was interested in the difference between these mainstream cards. I use a 1070 but its good to see where the 1060 3gb lies. Not a bad card for those using 1080p.

Im not AMD fan, probably never will be but the 570 n 580 seem good for those at 1080p. Even at 1440 for some games.

I find this review hard to swallow, I have experience with both sides and your numbers dont line up with mine. Overwatch for example, you are the first review site ive ever seen put an amd card ahead of nvidia at a given price point. Would you mind posting a video of your overwatch settings so we can see what you are doing differently from other reviewers.

Thanks.

A very interesting article and thanks for posting it. I really like what's going on with the red team on the benchmarks especially with DirectX 12 and I'm happy with the fact that AMD is giving Nvidia and Intel some competition but what good does it do when there is literally no RX 570 stock to be found and the gtx 1060 is overstocked on the shelf? Come on AMD get in game.

No mention of higher driver overhead onwith the AMD drivers. Re-run the test on a stock clocked Ryzen non X CPU and the 570 will drop across all games.

No mention of higher driver overhead onwith the AMD drivers. Re-run the test on a stock clocked Ryzen non X CPU and the 570 will drop across all games.

AMD's current drivers have lower CPU overhead compared to NVIDIA. I tested this personally a week ago (GTX 1060 6gb vs RX 580.) With the AMD card CPU utilization was nearly 10% lower while delivering basically the same performance.

Nice solid review.

As for those that have questions:
-- blithely stating "the test results don't match results that I've seen elsewhere" without providing links to said tests means you're really only giving your personal opinion...& that & $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
-- Those stating the RX 570 isn't in stock anywhere apparently aren't looking in the right places. PCPartPicker shows 10 different versions of the RX 570 available (https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392&sort=price) from 5 separate manufacturers in the USA alone.
-- As far as price vs. performance, we've been here before. When the GTX 1060 (6GB model) & RX 480 first came out, the GTX card had slightly better performance (~10%), but its MSRP was much higher (~25%). So as long as the RX 480 was at least 10% cheaper than the GTX 1060, you could safely buy it with the assurance that you were getting your money's worth. And now, we have the GTX 1060 (3GB model) providing ~2% more performance, but costing ~10% more -- the MSI GTX 1060 in the review running at $216.99 USD while the Gigabyte RX 570 Aorus model running at $196.99 USD (https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=378,392&sort=price&m=18,27). So again, if you're looking for performance in a specific game, you can pick whichever card performs better, while being safe in the knowledge that (except for RE7) you're not losing performance or wasting your cash with either choice.

Nice solid review.

...that & $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks....

-- As far as price vs. performance, we've been here before.
Agreed with most of what you said, especially that it was a good review.

Starbucks coffee though is not that expensive, averaging around $2.10 per cup.

Some people don't live and die by the price/performance ratio though. Even if you do dedicated shoppers can find a deal to get either card around the same price or can take an amazing deal on a specific card and save a ton of money. If price is your sole determination there will be an amazing deal if one waits for it. (For example I grabbed a MSI 6gb GTX 1060 Gaming X for slightly above $200 when RX 480 8GB were $230-250.)

In general if the difference in price isn't too big I would go for the RX 570. The option to buy a cheap Freesync monitor trumps anything else and the extra VRAM and async support are also a nice bonus since I don't usually upgrade the PC every year like some "enthusiasts" do.

AMD's current drivers have lower CPU overhead compared to NVIDIA. I tested this personally a week ago (GTX 1060 6gb vs RX 580.) With the AMD card CPU utilization was nearly 10% lower while delivering basically the same performance.

Hmm, when did this happen? This is news to me.

Hmm, when did this happen? This is news to me.
I just bought an RX 580 and a 1060 tested both and chose 1. The 580 had noticeably lower cpu usage on my i7 2600k 4.4ghz. I chose the 1060 since performance was about the same, but the card is much smaller (evga ACX 2 1/2 size card.) Im going itx build soon once AM4 itx boards are actually available. Don't get me wrong I didn't expect it either but AMD's drivers are now superior to NVIDIA's as far as overhead is concerned.

I just bought an RX 580 and a 1060 tested both and chose 1. The 580 had noticeably lower cpu usage on my i7 2600k 4.4ghz. I chose the 1060 since performance was about the same, but the card is much smaller (evga ACX 2 1/2 size card.) Im going itx build soon once AM4 itx boards are actually available. Don't get me wrong I didn't expect it either but AMD's drivers are now superior to NVIDIA's as far as overhead is concerned.

I have the same 6gb card (SC model) and a 2600k too ;) I recently bought a refurbished HP pre-built that came with a rx 480 and to my surprise the card was the same 6" itx size. I wonder why the partner companies wont make an itx sized rx card but HP/amd can?

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder about these settings.

I have GTA5 and I would love to get over 60 fps on maxed ultra. I have a fury x , paired with a 5930k i7, and 32gb ddr4. This makes me wonder what settings are not maxed out. The best I can get is about 45 to 50 fps sustained with a few things turned down.

You must be getting the lowest grade coffee for $2.10. LOL
Lowest grade? They have 5 or so varieties of regular coffee.

The espresso drinks like the lattes and cappuccinos are the ones that hover in the $4-5 range.

If you want a cup of regular coffee at Starbucks it's not that much more than other places.

I dont like their coffee anyways, it's like drinking colored water. I prefer my turkish mud.:p

Sometimes I wonder about these settings.

I have GTA5 and I would love to get over 60 fps on maxed ultra. I have a fury x , paired with a 5930k i7, and 32gb ddr4. This makes me wonder what settings are not maxed out. The best I can get is about 45 to 50 fps sustained with a few things turned down.

Make sure your overclocked to around 4.5ghz and that your using 3000mhz+ RAM. GTA V shows huge improvements with that type of cpu power and memory speed. My 2600k at 4.7 with 2133 ram does very well.

Back