TechSpot

Radeon TV-Out Issues (7-pin S-Video?)

By Labenset
Dec 29, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with a 7-pin S-video jack on it. In an attemp to provide video output to my nice wide-screen teley, I ran down to RadioShack and purchased a 12' S-Video cabel and a S-video to video AV composite adapter. However when I hooked it all up and set up my video drivers I got no color (only black and white) and the picture had horizontal lines runing through it. After investigation I discovered the standard S-video cabel has only 4 pins. I beleive this to be the problem however could find little information on the issue. This guide was helpfull however it is very fauge regarding the 7-pin connector on the card.

What is this 7-pin stuff anyway? Is it something that is specified differently depending on the mfg; or is it another type of standarized s-video connector?

If I were to purchase on of these (7-pin S-Video Adapters by svideo.com) will this fix my problem? I think this would be the best solution if the 7-pin is not something that is standarized by ATI.

I also found this guy (Svideo to Composite Adapter); which I beleive will solve my problem, but limit the s-video output.

Any help regarding the issue would be greatly appriciated.

2. Federelli

Federelli TS Rookie Posts: 382

The S-Video connector on graphics card is way more precise and better than those on TVs. Hence the 7 pin.

Where i live i've never found a cable with so many pins, 5 at most, and i could never get any good things to show on the TV, it was all fuzzy, flickering and ugly.

Get that 7-pin cable, it should solve everything.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

ATI videocards do only S-Video output.

Can your SVHS to composite adapter actually convert the signal or does it just connect the wires? If it is the latter then you will never get a colour picture.

If your TV has a SCART plug and it can accept S-Video input then you should get a S-Video to SCART cable.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.