Radeon VII vs. GeForce RTX 2080: Radeon Comeback?

"Honestly we're not sure why the overwhelming interest, but we've been getting a surprisingly large number of requests for a Radeon VII re-test over the past few weeks, and we couldn't refuse."

Well, because AMD has stated that Navi won't be high-end... so the VII will remain the AMD flagship for awhile to come...

And also, because we have a bunch of AMD fanboys who refuse to admit that their company is dead in the water when it comes to high-end video cards...

Don't get me wrong, for mid-low tier GPUs, AMD generally provides a solid option - if not the overwhelming winner - but when it comes to the "best GPU in the world", there is only 1 choice... which sucks, since Nvidia can charge virtually whatever they want for their high-end cards.

That the VII can't even beat Nvidia's second best card (third if you count the insanely stupid RTX Titan) and is actually aging POORER than it speaks volumes... I recall the argument from AMD fanboys that it "doesn't matter what the benchmarks say now, in 2 years the AMD card will be twice as fast"... well, that doesn't hold water any more - if it ever really did to begin with :)

Again its all dependent on price.
While the RTX 2080 is 8% faster overall through those 38 titles, if the Radeon VII can be had for $75-$100 cheaper, it would be much more competitive. For some reason AMD does not want to admit their architecture is still a little inferior and no one is going to spend $700 on this GPU, but I could see $580-$640.

While the RTX 2080 is 8% faster overall through those 38 titles, if the Radeon VII can be had for $75-$100 cheaper, it would be much more competitive. For some reason AMD does not want to admit their architecture is still a little inferior and no one is going to spend $700 on this GPU, but I could see $580-$640.
Vaguely recall that AMD is already selling the VII at a slight loss... so until they refine their binning/manufacturing costs, there is no option for them when it comes to cost.

"Honestly we're not sure why the overwhelming interest, but we've been getting a surprisingly large number of requests for a Radeon VII re-test over the past few weeks, and we couldn't refuse."

Well, because AMD has stated that Navi won't be high-end... so the VII will remain the AMD flagship for awhile to come...

And also, because we have a bunch of AMD fanboys who refuse to admit that their company is dead in the water when it comes to high-end video cards...

Don't get me wrong, for mid-low tier GPUs, AMD generally provides a solid option - if not the overwhelming winner - but when it comes to the "best GPU in the world", there is only 1 choice... which sucks, since Nvidia can charge virtually whatever they want for their high-end cards.

That the VII can't even beat Nvidia's second best card (third if you count the insanely stupid RTX Titan) and is actually aging POORER than it speaks volumes... I recall the argument from AMD fanboys that it "doesn't matter what the benchmarks say now, in 2 years the AMD card will be twice as fast"... well, that doesn't hold water any more - if it ever really did to begin with :)

You are talking about gaming right.... bcz GPUs are used for other things.

Nvidia has failed to meet the consumer, with consumer prices. Radeon VII is still a scientific card, with a $$ tax for porting it to the gaming world. Navi is not, it was designed specifically with games in mind, not compute.

Navi is mainstream and will have mainstream prices. Nvidia greed of trickle-down science cards is over.

In competitive gaming, how much advantage would that 8% actually yield? As long as you maintain a minimum of 60 FPS. won't most games run OK? Assassin's Creed didn't seem that great for either one of them.

Last edited:
Well, your game selection is what gives the RTX 2080 the advantage...

Just kidding lol. The Radeon VII simply isn't compelling. Even the AIBs don't want to release custom models of this thing... So... Yeah. AMD would have been better off providing 8GB or even 12GB of HBM to cut the cost, and the card would have been cheaper and thus a much better deal.

nVidia has eliminated the one advantage AMD had with RTX cards, which was compute performance. That's why the RX 580 can smoke the GTX 1060 in some titles, but the Radeon VII can't smoke the RTX 2080.

I hope for the consumer's sake Intel's graphics cards can provide some stiffer competition at lower power draw. That Navi will sit below Vega II in performance is gobsmacking, but if it's much cheaper than similar Nvidia products that's not too bad. However, power draw will be still poor most likely still being based on the ancient GCN architecture. We'll have to wait for Navi+ to see an all new architecture and real improvement.

I was really hoping this would be at least competitive for the price point. The video card pricing has driven me out of building a new rig, plus there haven't been any real improvements for the huge influx of cash they got. I have doubts, but maybe Intel may provide at least mid-tier competition.

I have been burned by AMD for over 10 years by driver problems over and over. Which they do not even attempt to address even when droves of customers have issues. I guess I am just hard-headed and trying to help them out, but I gave up on them. Most likely forever. I do appreciate others trying to keep AMD alive.

How about a 2019 rematch between the Ryzen 5 1600X and Core i5-7600K? Both stock and overclocked. Would be interesting to see before Ryzen 3000 launches.

You are talking about gaming right.... bcz GPUs are used for other things.

Nvidia has failed to meet the consumer, with consumer prices. Radeon VII is still a scientific card, with a $$ tax for porting it to the gaming world. Navi is not, it was designed specifically with games in mind, not compute.

Navi is mainstream and will have mainstream prices. Nvidia greed of trickle-down science cards is over.
I'm sure you read the article... YES, I'm talking about gaming - since this is an article benchmarking a ton of GAMES with this GPU...

And while there are other reasons to purchase a GPU, the main purchasers of this card want gaming performance - hence the marketing from AMD pertaining to games...

And while Navi might be "specific to games", since it doesn't meet the high-end - which the Radeon VII is supposed to - it's irrelevant for this article...

AMD simply needs to give up in the GPU world. They've been boasting about Navi for how long now? Yet they're not even going to be as fast as their refreshed Vega that runs at 120 celsius......amazing progress.
The only people who are wanting improvements with your cards are gamers and you're simply not competing and your new stuff your boasting about is garbage. Real people who want to win want framerates and frametimes. They don't care that you're making your card use less watts or it costs less than the competition that provides better frames. Your card sucks more so it better cost less.

Having went through the process of replacing my gtx 980 with with an rx 590 then hopping to an rtx 2070......I know what I'm talking about. AMD ReLive is terrible compared to geforce experience. the gallery sucks. radeon chill is a weak framerate limiter and riva tuner is what any smart person would use. wattman blows. youtube videos LOOK WORSE on AMD cards no matter how you tweak the video settings in their software. nvidia "gamefilter" aka alt+f3 in game completely SMASHES whatever AMD is offering. amd lets you adjust brightness, contrast and saturation in game.......nvidia gives u hdr, sharpness and a million more things........garbage from amd.

You guys are like the "Diet Rite" of graphics cards and you're trying to switch people off of their Coke and Pepsi. The only people that are usually drinkin

Last edited:
AMD simply needs to give up in the GPU world. They've been boasting about Navi for how long now? Yet they're not even going to be as fast as their refreshed Vega that runs at 120 celsius......amazing progress.
The only people who are wanting improvements with your cards are gamers and you're simply not competing and your new stuff your boasting about is garbage. Real people who want to win want framerates and frametimes. They don't care that you're making your card use less watts or it costs less than the competition that provides better frames. Your card sucks more so it better cost less.

Having went through the process of replacing my gtx 980 with with an rx 590 then hopping to an rtx 2070......I know what I'm talking about. AMD ReLive is terrible compared to geforce experience. the gallery sucks. radeon chill is a weak framerate limiter and riva tuner is what any smart person would use. wattman blows. youtube videos LOOK WORSE on AMD cards no matter how you tweak the video settings in their software. nvidia "gamefilter" aka alt+f3 in game completely SMASHES whatever AMD is offering. amd lets you adjust brightness, contrast and saturation in game.......nvidia gives u hdr, sharpness and a million more things........garbage from amd.

the whole point of choosing a computer for gaming is competition. better framerates is a form of competition even in single player so don't tell me otherwise. AMD isn't competing and they suck. Give me a competing card with competing drivers with competing framerates with competing software......or go away man.....seriously. I'm tired of reading about how much you're failing. I'm not the ceo of nvidia so reading this type of stuff doesn't excite me.

You guys are like the "Diet Rite" of graphics cards and you're trying to switch people off of their Coke and Pepsi.

"Real people who want to win want framerates and frametimes"

Sorry to break your confidence, but frames have nothing to do with skill. Throwing money does not solve it. If you want to believe so, feel free to burn money as I don't expect you to understand. Take a skilled player at 30 FPS against one that is not at 1000 FPS and the skilled player will win. It takes practice and determination to excel.
This is a huge problem and a cancer on the gaming industry on throwing money at these Pay2Lose games.

I've got a Radeon VII and very happy with it, it might a bit slower than RTX2080 but I've got mine running at 1975Mhz and with double the memory its a no brainer for me as I do game at 4K :)

The simple fact is.
If you remove the nvidia poisoned games the advantage Nvidia has is gone.
Dont benchmark gameworks games you only end up lying to people.
The simple fact is RTX 2080 is faster than Radeon VII and another simple fact: you can't deal with that fact. Crying about the game choice won't help either. Nvidia "poisoned" games are still popular games people play and if you were to remove those games it would make the test less realistic.

I've got a Radeon VII and very happy with it, it might a bit slower than RTX2080 but I've got mine running at 1975Mhz and with double the memory its a no brainer for me as I do game at 4K :)
I'm glad you're happy with a card that is slower than Nvidia's equivalent... and had you read the article and looked at the benchmarks, you'd notice that 4K games don't take advantage of the extra memory.... so yeah, it's a "no brainer" - but maybe not in the way you think it is...

"The Radeon VII is a fine graphics card, but it's not competitive enough against the RTX 2080. We review it exclusively as a gaming product (where that 16GB frame buffer is not really a factor) and frankly it under delivered. If it was more efficient than the RTX 2080 and ran quiet, maybe we could deem it a worthy alternative, but let’s not sugar coat this or beat around the bush, it’s not as efficient, it’s loud and for the most part it’s slower, only a little slower but it’s slower. For those reasons we can’t recommend the Radeon VII over the GeForce RTX 2080."

The 2080 occupies a very weird space right now.

It's obviously better than anything AMD has and it's the best RTX you can get under $800...

But people would rather have that 2080Ti.

Maybe Nvidia should take the Apple route and start issuing its own credit card?

True, but it's basically a Radeon Instinct card I wouldn't really use it for gaming.

I'm glad you're happy with a card that is slower than Nvidia's equivalent... and had you read the article and looked at the benchmarks, you'd notice that 4K games don't take advantage of the extra memory.... so yeah, it's a "no brainer" - but maybe not in the way you think it is...

Well I did used to owned Vega 64 and in Division 2 even at lower settings and 60fps I was getting stutter due to having only 8GB of memory after I upgraded to Radeon VII that's gone, I can now play at Ultra settings with 85% of 4K and I get upto 50% more fps and that is only 1 example plus with my OC my card wont be any slower than RTX2080 :)

Last edited:
The simple fact is.
If you remove the nvidia poisoned games the advantage Nvidia has is gone.
Dont benchmark gameworks games you only end up lying to people.
The simple fact is RTX 2080 is faster than Radeon VII and another simple fact: you can't deal with that fact. Crying about the game choice won't help either. Nvidia "poisoned" games are still popular games people play and if you were to remove those games it would make the test less realistic.

so you think its fair to poison your competitors fuel during a race.

so you think its fair to poison your competitors fuel during a race.

I think a more fair comparison is if a race track road course was built by a developer. One manufacturer gave the developer mud to put on some of the corners. Then the other manufacturer team was not allowed to use offroad tires.

Back