Radeon X800 drivers cause PC to reboot on Windows Loading Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you've faced multiple instances of the same post. However when I browsed through them, they never really gave a fix that worked for me but instead died down.

I've tried
-reformatting
-reinstalling
-trying different drivers (ati cataylist and omegadrivers)
-switch AGP to PCI driver in device manager

The results usually end up as
-pc reboots on windows loading screen
-pc starts but after loading screen i get a blue screen saying something about an "infinite loop" with ati2dvag or something similar

Basically to get my PC back to booting and useable I would restart in safe mode and uninstall the driver which works except I'm stuck with the generic driver and BOY Is CHOPPINESS annoying. I also tried rebooting with the last settings that worked and that results in... well nothing. It basically does not let the driver work and uninstalling it from there fails cause there is always a Zero Display Error or something of the sort.

After installation I would have numerous Video Controller (VGA Compatible) hardware wizards which I would try to use to install manually but does not cut the cake.

AMD Athlon 64 3700
Gigabyte K8 Triton Series
Radeon X800 (not sure specific info cause i lost the box however i never enabled fastwrite or softmodded it or overclocked it cause i dont know what those stuff do)
1 gb ram (2 sticks of 512)
if you need anything else, holla!~

I checked my bios and it said i had the right voltage of 3.3+ and the power supply is new by like 7 months

I've had this pc for 5 years except I bought the graphics and motherboard used so thats like 6 years.

I've never had this problem before. Basically one day it would not boot up so I reformatted and did the rountine installation of chipset, motherboards, then video but now it wont work.

So basically, what should I do?
I'm thinking my graphics card is kaput, but would buying a new one actually work?

When you go to the ATI/AMD website for the latest graphics drivers, you are given a choice between the Catalyst Control Center bundle and driver only. Try driver only.

mailpup said:
When you go to the ATI/AMD website for the latest graphics drivers, you are given a choice between the Catalyst Control Center bundle and driver only. Try driver only.

I've tried this countless of times
but i decided hell why not...

when it finished installing it said, zero display error so my hopes went down
but surprisingly...

when i rebooted

it worked...
so thanks~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back