Rage new build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mako man

Hello all

Well Rage it looks like its time again to build a new computer. The last computer you designed for me looks like its going to my nephew for his first year in college. I know I'm losing out, but it will be going to good use.

I'm interested in building a new fast speed computer for gaming and small business programming. I'm considering doing the build myself, but my work load and lack of knowledge may prevent me from building this new system.

I'm thinking of the following build and I respect your suggestions:

1). Haf 932 tower
2). Intel I7 920 2.6
3). Evga X58 LE Edition SLI Intel chipset
4). 6GB DDR3 1600MHZ ram brand and model # unknown
5). Corsair 750 TX PSU dual SLI compatible
6). Western Digital 500GB 16MB cache 7200rpm sata
7). Network port unknown brand and model #
8). DVD R/RW/cd R/RW 20X-48X?
9). Dual Nvidia GTX 275 896MB
10). Heat sink? unknown brand and model
11). Windows 7 home premium 64bit

Pricing the components for this system from New Egg and Micro Center I'm about $1,800.00 US.

Please feel free to make any changes and upgrades to my new build. I do want a very fast gaming computer which will take me into the future for possible upgrades.

As usual any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

try this build

i say use what you have but change to these parts

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
DIAMOND 5870PE51G Radeon HD 5870 or wait until the 23rd and pick up 2 5850s in crossfire.
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58
XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight
i would recommend these parts and you might change the MB to a gigabyte board.
i think you will be more pleased with these parts over the build you had. and the video cards i chose are more powerfull and the total cost is around the same.

You can save a lot of money, at a minor performance cost if you go with a P55 and i5 build.
The 5850 is probably a much better choice, along with the corsair 650 instead.
I personally like Pioneer DVD/CD drives.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I know the P55 is a better cost, but I would like a 58 series for any future upgrades ex I9. I don't want to lock myself out of upgrades in the next few years. I like the video card selection, but I must admit I like the warranty on the EVGA cards. Do the manufactures selling 5870 or 5850's have lifetime warranty? I do like ASUS cards, but the one you described seems to have many poor customer evaluations. Am I wrong? I want a very good motherboard.
Thanks again

yes evga cards are nice but the xfx versions of the 5850s have lifetime warranty its just the limited supply of them that sucks and that motherboard is just fine i would take the reviews on newegg with a grain of salt the products are of great quality if ya dont believe me ask rage.

I agree with klepto. The HD5850 in CF would be a much better option at a similar cost in comparison to the GTX 275 in SLI.

For the HSF you may want to take a look at the Prolimatech Meghalem.

I would recommend a single-GPU solution; Crossfire performance is highly driver-dependant. Also, the choice of GPU would depend on the resolution you intend to game at.

For any resolution upto 1680x1050, the HD 4870 is a fantastic choice. Beyond that, I'd recommend the HD 5870. Two of them (5870 or 5850) are unnecessary IMO.

For your budget, I'd suggest these parts:
Grand Total = $1750 approximately, counting shipping (on everything except the cooler) but not rebates. Should be a real screamer that will slice through anything with ease. Again, the video card choice is based on my aforementioned assumption; change it as per your needs.

I leave the DVD drive upto you.

Hello Rage thanks for jumping in to assist. I would really prefer to go with a X58 series computer, and a three channel system. I was thinking of possibly upgrading to Cosair Dominator. Could you point me in a direction more powerful than the system you described? I want to be faster than the last system (FPS). I'm getting older so with my reflexes slower I figure a faster gaming computer would help me out a bit and make up for my handicap. My monitor is 23 inch and I presently use a resolution of 1900 X with full settings. Micro Center has the I7 2.66 on sale for $199.00 US so I really would like to head in this direction. I have nothing against XFX video cards and I would use that manufacturer.

I also see you recomended two hard drive systems. Would the SSD be for gaming, and the Western Digital for all other operating programs?

Thanks again to all who responded.

I also like the HAF 932 tower.It is less in cost than the Antec Twelve Hundred. Is there any reason to use the Antec over the Haf 932?

The case is entirely upto you. Go for whatever you like; both are fantastic cases. I just like the cooling in the Antec better, is all, although the HAF932 is certainly no slouch either!

I would not suggest an X58 motherboard however; the performance advantage from an i7 9xx series CPU is negligible, unless you regularly use heavily multi-threaded apps like 3DS Max or Photoshop. Ditto with the triple-channel memory.

The performance of a gaming system is decided largely by the video card, and for you I believe a single HD 5850 will be sufficient. You can always add another in Crossfire if you need it; I doubt you will though, especially at that resolution.

The i5 CPU is powerful enough to keep up, and I seriously believe going for an i7 system at this time is a waste of cash.

And yes, the SSD would ideally be used for the OS, apps and games, while the HDD would be suited to bulk storage of videos, photos etc.

Lastly, I don't believe a Corsair Dominator kit will offer any potential advantages over that G.SKILL kit, unless you are overclocking, in which case the Ripjaws version of that G.SKILL kit (see here) is a better choice due to the better heatspreaders on it. It's also available for the same price as the regular kit.

Just a question Rage, do the SSDs provide a very great performance difference (or noticeable performance difference) over a regular HDD. Also, the storage capacities of the SSDs are pretty small it seems. All apps and games along with the OS may not find enough space.

64GB should be enough for a couple of games and all the apps you'd need IMO. And yes, they are blazing-fast compared to HDDs (sustained transfer speeds in excess of 150MB/s), so installing and uninstalling should be a snap. To add to this, Patriot's TorqX SSDs come with a 10-year warranty period, which is just icing on the cake IMO.

Rage how much faster is your build compared to my last computer?
Will I see a difference?

I understand what you are saying, but I'm having a little trouble justifying going with the I5 series vs the I7 series for right about the same cost factor. In the future the I5 series will not keep up with the new technology, but the I7 will be upgradeable.

Not trying to bust your chops, and I do appreciate your efforts, but if you could humor me I would like to know what components you would use to configure the I7 920 series system. I really do value your suggestions so a couple hundred either way isn't a deal breaker.

If SLI and crossfire are supposed to be better than a single video card why would I use a single if I want the most speed available. I just don't understand the concept of one being better.

My feeling is I want to build a fast computer and I don't mind paying a few more dollars to get quality. I have no intentions on upgrading for a couple of years.

i think if you have the money go for the i7920 system like you said before you can look forward to 6 core cpus in the near future i dont like the i5 750 when you can get the 920 for the same price my vote goes to the i7 920 and the x58. also the reson behind rage suggesting 1 video card is because the 5870 can run any game out at max settings by itself most of all games with frame rates well above 60fps you can always buy another 5870 down the road when the power is actually needed.

i7 920, in my opinion, is a waste of money at the moment, same goes for dual GPU, triple channel (though if your planning 6gigs of RAM you might as well), and especially with corsair dominator.
If you buy an i7 920, you will spend more money now, and by the time you would want or need to replace your CPU and/or motherboard, you will likely want an entirely new class altogether, maybe retaining the same motherboard. The P55 is not particularly weaker than the X58.

Just me, but i've come to like cheap money efficient builds. It makes me feel like i'm stealing a lot more performance than i'm paying for!
Also, that 750 is a very sturdy and high quality power supply, but mayhaps not necessary.

Not trying to bust your chops, and I do appreciate your efforts, but if you could humor me I would like to know what components you would use to configure the I7 920 series system. I really do value your suggestions so a couple hundred either way isn't a deal breaker.
Basically the same as the build Rage posted above, but with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359 at $240. I feel more expensive boards don't really prove their worth unless your trying to really push your over clock, but that's just my uneducated opinion.

Hellokitty, I do like your choice of motherboard. While the sales are on it just seems like a waste not go with the I7 920 for roughly $100.00 US more, and this cost is due to the motherboard.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Hellokitty, I do like your choice of motherboard. While the sales are on it just seems like a waste not go with the I7 920 for roughly $100.00 US more, and this cost is due to the motherboard.
Sure thats your choice, but the i750 is the same processor, there are two differences aside from socket and clock speeds: PCI-e controller and QPI. The i750 is actually the larger processor, with the addition of an on-die PCI-e controller, and though it doesn't have QPI, it doesn't need it since it can communicate directly with the graphics card. No it doesn't get eight logical cores, but eight is a lot anyway, but in exchange, it gets a faster turbo mode.
Well, that was my last ditch attempt, choose for yourself, both will make for a powerful system.

Six cores is useless unless something can utilize them. The number of games that can stress even a dual-core CPU can be counted on your fingers. All games are dependent on the GPU to a much larger extent than the CPU.

I still feel the LGA1366 build is better value. X58 is just ultra-high-end for bragging rights and nothing more. Games will not see significantly better performance. Four cores with HyperThreading is fast enough for anything, barring content-creation apps such as 3DSMax.

If you want to go for it, do so, and I recommend the GA-EX58-UD3R as well as the i7 920 from Microcenter (if they still have them in stock) as the best choices should you want to swing that way. Add to that a triple channel (preferably 1600MHz) kit from OCZ, Corsair or Crucial, and you should be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back