TechSpot

RAID 0 and 2.5" Laptop Drives

By Savage1701
Jun 16, 2009
  1. Anyone out there experimenting with RAID 0 and 2.5" 7200 RPM laptop drives with a decent (3Ware, Areca) controller? Just curious what someone might hit on benchmarks vs. 3.5" drives.

Just trying to save on electricity where I can, and I know laptop drives use very little on spinup or idle.

Thanks for any info.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,469   +327

don't use RAID-X on a laptop!!! real bad idea.

search this site for raid-0 and see all the issue raid-0 creates :(

3. Savage1701

Savage1701 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 279

Jo - my post must not be clear. I am not talking about using them in a laptop. I'm talking about using them in a server system as online storage with a 3Ware or Areca controller. I know RAID 0 is not dependably safe.

I want to know if anyone has benchmarked a RAID 0 array of 2 or more 2.5" 7200RPM or even 5400RPM laptop drives. I want to use mine for a BeyondTV server. Again, I don't really care about reliability; if I lose a week of TV programs it's not a big deal.

What I need to do is be able to reliably write about 10-15MB/S to the array. That's not taxing for a 3.5" drive but that may be pushing it for a single notebook drive.

I do care about power consumption. BTV servers are notoriously impossible to put into sleep mode and have them wake up and record a show and go back to sleep. In short, the server needs to be active all the time.

Basically, without arguing all the fine points, I can run 5 or 6 laptop drives and have the power consumption of 1 regular drive. Is it more to go wrong? Sure. But 6 500GB 2.5 drives won't cost me much more than a 1TB and a 2TB 3.5" drive set would, and now I'm using even less power since I have to have at least 2 3.5" drives to get the same storage space, even if I went with 2 1.5TB 3.5" drives.

So, again, my question stands - anyone benched some laptop drives in RAID 0 arrays on a good controller? And what numbers did you get? Thanks.

4. jobeard

OK :)
    ok, but unusual :)
    that IS a real problem
    most laptops are severely limited in power availability :( very unlikely you'll get that many attached. You will need an external enclosure (with power) and that will then be a USB attachment. Raid-0 via USB ??? have not heard of that personally

5. Savage1701

Jo - are you doing this on purpose? What laptop holds an Areca or 3Ware x8 RAID card, or is used as a power supply.

Please don't reply to my posts with nonsense answers.

6. Savage1701

Read my post - "server system" does not, nor has it ever, equaled "laptop" by any definition.

7. jobeard

apologies :eek:

I read this and didn't relate to the 3ware/Areca devices. Even with 37 years of experience, I at least don't have a memorized complete list of m/b, pci/video cards and/or any other set of adapters -- sorry

btw: ANY system can be used as a SERVER, even a laptop. Client vs Server is a usage statement, not a hardware implicit definition.

I will be sure not to bother you any further.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.