RAID 0 Disk read error after restoring from an external drive using Acronis software

By AzraelExael
Mar 20, 2007
  1. Hello to all

I am hoping that someone here can help me with my problem. I have tried other sites and did a search in Google and I have not found an answer to the problem at hand.

My system:
    I have a clone computer with:
    ASUS motherboard A8N-SLI DeLuxe
    2GB Corsair RAM Memory
    2 Nvidia 7600LS Video cards
    2 Western Digital 250GB hard drives set on a RAID 0 configurations.

The problem:
    Some time ago I purchased Acronis True Image version 8.0. I never had the chance to use it until this week. My computer slowed to a crawl and then it crashed. Days before, I had made a backup of my OS so I decided to restore it from the backup that I stored in an external HD. I have two Western Digital 250GB hard drives configured as RAID 0. The program restored the image successfully so I restarted the computer after it finished. Unfortunately now the computer will not boot up. The hard drives are okay, no problems at all, however I keep getting the following message:

“A Disk Read Error Occurred
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart”

My questions are these: Has anyone encountered a situation similar to mine and if so, what did you do about it? Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to purchase two new HDs identical to the ones I have, recreate the RAID 0 and then plug in the two hard drives that I have problems with? Will my computer recognize them and allow me to get my data? Or can I reload Win XP Pro on a new HD and then use a program like OnTrak Data Recovery to recuperate the data? Would Ontrak or Win XP recognize the drives by just plugging them in then after I recreate the RAID 0 configuration? Has anyone done this? I did press Ctrl+Alt+Del several times and nothing. My computer refuses to boot up.

No help from Acronis. I did write to tech support at Acronis twice and they did not answer at all. I know that my copy of the program is old 8.0 and maybe they don’t support it anymore. Version 10.0 is out now.

When my computer slowed to a crawl, I had just finished installing a new antivirus program, which I did remove afterwards.

What I have done so far:
    I found a thread on this site of someone who had a problem similar to mine (one of his hard drives was bad). Someone recommended to unplug and check each drive. Since I know that both hard drives are okay I really do not want to do that since the chances of loosing the data are very high. Until I had this problem my computer was working great; it’s only about 6 months old, with no problems of any kind. I found similar problems on other sites and unfortunately in all cases it is a bad hard drive that has failed.

If any one has information about my problem I would truly appreciate it. I know that up until now the data is safe and, if possible, I would like to keep it that way.

Thank you very much in advance for whatever help the staff or the readers can provide.

2. HPCE_Larry

HPCE_Larry TS Rookie Posts: 132

How old are the harddrives? Is there a chance one of them failed?
  3. AzraelExael

AzraelExael TS Rookie Topic Starter

The entire system is brand new, 6 months old. I have checked the RAID configuration by pressing F10 at the start of booting up and it tells me that the RAID is healthy no issues with the drives. If I press F8 at the beginning of the boot sequence I get an option for booting from an external drive, floppy, CD Rom or hard drive. Unfortunately if I choose to boot from the external drive (that is where I have the back up copy if the operating system) it does not recognizes it as such. I am sure it is because Acronis compresses the data.

Do you have Acronis in your computer?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.