RAID 0 Disk read error after restoring from an external drive using Acronis software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all

I am hoping that someone here can help me with my problem. I have tried other sites and did a search in Google and I have not found an answer to the problem at hand.

My system:
I have a clone computer with:
ASUS motherboard A8N-SLI DeLuxe
2GB Corsair RAM Memory
2 Nvidia 7600LS Video cards
2 Western Digital 250GB hard drives set on a RAID 0 configurations.

The problem:
Some time ago I purchased Acronis True Image version 8.0. I never had the chance to use it until this week. My computer slowed to a crawl and then it crashed. Days before, I had made a backup of my OS so I decided to restore it from the backup that I stored in an external HD. I have two Western Digital 250GB hard drives configured as RAID 0. The program restored the image successfully so I restarted the computer after it finished. Unfortunately now the computer will not boot up. The hard drives are okay, no problems at all, however I keep getting the following message:

“A Disk Read Error Occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart”

My questions are these: Has anyone encountered a situation similar to mine and if so, what did you do about it? Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to purchase two new HDs identical to the ones I have, recreate the RAID 0 and then plug in the two hard drives that I have problems with? Will my computer recognize them and allow me to get my data? Or can I reload Win XP Pro on a new HD and then use a program like OnTrak Data Recovery to recuperate the data? Would Ontrak or Win XP recognize the drives by just plugging them in then after I recreate the RAID 0 configuration? Has anyone done this? I did press Ctrl+Alt+Del several times and nothing. My computer refuses to boot up.

Important:
No help from Acronis. I did write to tech support at Acronis twice and they did not answer at all. I know that my copy of the program is old 8.0 and maybe they don’t support it anymore. Version 10.0 is out now.

When my computer slowed to a crawl, I had just finished installing a new antivirus program, which I did remove afterwards.

What I have done so far:
I found a thread on this site of someone who had a problem similar to mine (one of his hard drives was bad). Someone recommended to unplug and check each drive. Since I know that both hard drives are okay I really do not want to do that since the chances of loosing the data are very high. Until I had this problem my computer was working great; it’s only about 6 months old, with no problems of any kind. I found similar problems on other sites and unfortunately in all cases it is a bad hard drive that has failed.

If any one has information about my problem I would truly appreciate it. I know that up until now the data is safe and, if possible, I would like to keep it that way.

Thank you very much in advance for whatever help the staff or the readers can provide.

Sincerely

AzraelExael

The entire system is brand new, 6 months old. I have checked the RAID configuration by pressing F10 at the start of booting up and it tells me that the RAID is healthy no issues with the drives. If I press F8 at the beginning of the boot sequence I get an option for booting from an external drive, floppy, CD Rom or hard drive. Unfortunately if I choose to boot from the external drive (that is where I have the back up copy if the operating system) it does not recognizes it as such. I am sure it is because Acronis compresses the data.

Do you have Acronis in your computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back