RAID 0 -- from Crosshair IV to Gene IV

Whiffen

I understand you would generally need to have the same controller to move a RAID setup and have it recognized, but I want to see if anyone has some advice or any idea about moving a RAID 0 setup from my Crosshair IV (JMicron) to a Gene IV (Intel Platform Controller)

I have 4TB of data on the RAID setup, and 3TB available on my backup drive.

I'm trying to avoid backing things up because it will take 4 days to transfer all that data to the WD elements, and I would still need 1TB more space so I'd have to buy another drive :p

Help! Thanks!

I've tried this, spent about 2 weeks researching it with no avail. This is one of those situations that made me look into buying a raid card. In which I did.

GL, Hope you find a solution.

Thank you. I'm going to backup everything then I'll make the switch, using the same port numbers and configure it as identically as I can and see if she'll work, I'll report back sometime tomorrow.

As for the RAID controller that does sound like a good idea, to bad ol gene here doesn't have any other expansion slots when I'm done :p

I have to say that is one reason why I'm nervous about firing a new order off as well. I think when I do eventually upgrade a 8-16port RAID card will definitely be on my list. I'd rather make the move once, and know it will never be an issue again.

I have backups of my most crucial data (family pictures etc), but the whole point of running RAID for me is the redundancy to use for data storage -- the idea of having to move it to "other" disks for storage just to change RAID controllers (when changing hardware) just seems so backwards now, as does the idea of backing up an entire array when the reason I choose it was to house the backups with multiple redundancy.

Ironically it isn't until you've steamed full ahead into using RAID, that come upgrade time that you begin to realise that expensive RAID card purchase at day one would have been a better idea than you considered at the time. :haha:

Back