TechSpot

Raid-0 help plz

By scooby
Jan 19, 2004
  1. i have a WD raptor atm, is very nice and fast but is limited by its small size of 37gig so ia going to get another 1 and set it up in raid 0 so the pc reads them as 1 drive. problem is my mate has told me that this will be a waste of time and you will not get any performance gains, yet i see alot of ppl are doing this? what dou you think? is it worth doing? i mainly use my pc for gaming. any comments welcom.

2. Sprelligosi

Sprelligosi TS Rookie

raid 0

If you just use your computer for games. And you do want maximum performance than raid 0 is a option for you.

How ever if you have some important files that you have to store raid 0 isint the best choice.

3. scooby

scooby TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

do you mean that because if 1 hd goes down the other 1 does to? or is there another reason.if gains are minimal then i wont bother, but as i said it is for gaming so i dont know.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

In RAID0 when you lose one drive of the array you lose all data on the whole array. (Well, actually you lose only a part of the data, but what you will have left would be virtually useless scraps).

5. Greeno

Greeno TS Rookie Posts: 281

No performance gains? He's an ***** then :p

RAID 0 is far better than just your standard run of the mill ATA-100 controller on your mobo, thats for sure, but as Nodsu says... If 1 disk goes, *puff* so does the array... now 'Mirrored' stripes are something else!

6. scooby

scooby TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

but if they do give way i just gotta format again? right, if so i dont mind. you gotta take a few risks these days...................

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.