Raid-0 help plz

By scooby
Jan 19, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have a WD raptor atm, is very nice and fast but is limited by its small size of 37gig so ia going to get another 1 and set it up in raid 0 so the pc reads them as 1 drive. problem is my mate has told me that this will be a waste of time and you will not get any performance gains, yet i see alot of ppl are doing this? what dou you think? is it worth doing? i mainly use my pc for gaming. any comments welcom.
  2. Sprelligosi

Sprelligosi Newcomer, in training

raid 0

If you just use your computer for games. And you do want maximum performance than raid 0 is a option for you.

How ever if you have some important files that you have to store raid 0 isint the best choice.
  3. scooby

scooby Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 27

do you mean that because if 1 hd goes down the other 1 does to? or is there another reason.if gains are minimal then i wont bother, but as i said it is for gaming so i dont know.
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

In RAID0 when you lose one drive of the array you lose all data on the whole array. (Well, actually you lose only a part of the data, but what you will have left would be virtually useless scraps).
  5. Greeno

Greeno Newcomer, in training Posts: 394

No performance gains? He's an ***** then :p

RAID 0 is far better than just your standard run of the mill ATA-100 controller on your mobo, thats for sure, but as Nodsu says... If 1 disk goes, *puff* so does the array... now 'Mirrored' stripes are something else!
  6. scooby

scooby Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 27

but if they do give way i just gotta format again? right, if so i dont mind. you gotta take a few risks these days...................
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.