Raid 1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgreaves

I have a 1tera external hdd and im going to get a 1tera internal hdd.. I can set both hdd's up in a raid 1 setup..

My question is, if I unplug the external drive.. Will I still be able to see the old mirrored data on the internal drive? If I plug the external into another machine, will I see the mirrored data on the external then? If I put some more stuff on the external drive while its not connected to the raid and then plug it back into the raid machine, will it sync the new stuff over to the internal drive?

I have a 1tera external hdd and im going to get a 1tera internal hdd.. I can set both hdd's up in a raid 1 setup..
Not under any sane configuration, if you did (ie: software raid), the performance lost wouldn't be worth it. Sort answer, No.

My question is, if I unplug the external drive.. Will I still be able to see the old mirrored data on the internal drive?
Yes

If I plug the external into another machine, will I see the mirrored data on the external then?
Yes

If I put some more stuff on the external drive while its not connected to the raid and then plug it back into the raid machine, will it sync the new stuff over to the internal drive?
No, the mirror will be broken, re-attaching the hard drive and rebuilding the mirror would overwrite the data on the external hard drive with the contents of the internal hard drive.

If you want to share data between computers look into DropBox. You get 2GB free.

In a raid configuration, the HDs must be attached to the same controller card,
so (1) Internal + (1) external would not work.

Just so you don't make a fallacious assumption,
Even RAID-1 needs backup
Why? Because writing in parallel to multiple media only duplicates the data -- both the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

Hot-Swapping, yanking one of the mirrors out of the enclosure or inserting another HD with the system running is ONLY possible using a SCSI card adapter as no IDE supports that feature. This implies a manual intervention (both software, shutdown, r/r and reboot) to r/r an hd in the mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back