RAID 1 setup

By wnbilotta
Sep 11, 2007
  1. Getting ready to setup a RAID 1 with the Asus K8N. I currently have two hard drives, 200g and 300g. The 200g is partitioned into C & D, the 300g is partitioned into E, F, G.

The E partition is a copy of the C partition, the F partition is a copy of the D partrition. I have been using Norton Ghost in the past to copy the drives for backup purposes.

I want to setup RAID 1 for backup purposes. Can I:

copy the 200g onto the 300g
    remove the 200g
    install a new 300g
    enable RAID 1 from the BIOS

Will the computer start to mirror the new 300g upon startup ? I have XP already running and I have a LOT of applications already installed that I really do not want to reinstall.

Do I need to install a new drive (SATA?) and install the OS on it ? If I did this, would the computer see the two existing IDE drives and would the RAID setup function ? Would I be able to access the applications ? I do have a 3.5 floppy drive in the computer if that matters.

Thanks for any/all help
  2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

for best results you should use drives of the same size and make. A RAID array will destroy all data on all RAID drives when created. If you are going to use a SATA drive, I would make your array out of 2 SATA drives.
  3. wnbilotta

wnbilotta TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, so let's say I setup my RAID 1 with 2 new SATA drives. How can I then access the applications that currently reside on my primary IDE drive ?

Can I leave the primary IDE drive in the computer ?

Would the IDE drive be accessible ?

Would I be forced to reinstall all applications on the SATA drives ?

Could I copy my primary IDE drive onto one of the new SATA drives and then the RAID would start mirroring to the other SATA drive ?

Thanks again....
  4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

Q1 - A = the RAID array will show up as a single drive
    Q2 - A = Yes - and I would boot from it until you are happy that the RAID array is working
    Q3 - A = No - it would be preferable but you could Ghost it.
    Q4 - A = Yes, but you need to use Ghost.
    So long as you do not wipe your original boot drive, nothing is lost.
  5. wnbilotta

wnbilotta TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the help. I'll post again once I get it running.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.