RAID 5 problem "Degraded HDD"

Status
Not open for further replies.

yello88

Friday morning, when I came to my computer, windows had informed me that one of my drives in my raid has become degraded. Uh yea, right? So I don’t really understand all too well the way that RAIDs work and all, but I set it up in a RAID5 as to have security with the raid. I set it up according to the MoBo’s manual, and it seemed to be fine. So I replaced the drive with an extra that I had, yes the same brand and speed and size. Now I find that my “Intel Matrix Storage Manager” takes about 36 hours to rebuild the redundancy of the RAID. Okay I guess that’s normal. And yet, another degraded HDD when I come back on Sunday. I open the IMSM and right click on the “degraded” drive, just to see what options I had, and I tell the IMSM to mark the drive as “normal.” So as I left it this morning, it was currently rebuilding the RAID. Someone please help me, either I don’t understand something, or I have a bad drive, what?
I’m currently running Win7 Pro x64, a RAID 5 using the RAID controller built in on the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, and 4 Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB. What I would like to know is, what is it that would cause these new HDD to become degraded? Are the drives bad? Do I need new ones?

**Edit: I think i put this in the wrong forum, please move to "storage and networking"

So I've been looking around and it would seem that the best course of action for me would not be RAID5 but rather RAID0. Would I still have "degraded" drives with that setup instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back