RAID Array on Windows 7 Pro

LFEdder

I have a Dell Studio 9100. It has a built in RAID function in the BIOS. I tried to use it, but Windows doesn't seem to like it. When the computer boots, I get the BIOS program to set a RAID Array, but it doesn't last. The computer is rebooted.

Is there something I can change in Windows that will allow the BIOS program to run till completion?

You don't want RAID on the boot drive anyway -- Microsoft has always discouraged that choice.

The reason it doesn't complete is it would have to reformat the C: drive and of course you loose everything.

Aha. Thanks jobeard. That clears up a lot of misunderstanding on my part. I have an image of the drive that I can reload, but I wonder if the image will revert back to the non-RAID array.

I've been spoiled by Linux. :confused:

OH YES -- once you've adapted to the new paradigm, differences can be shocking at times. Best wishes.

BTW: any RAID is not any form of NTFS or FAT32, which can be shocking to many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Franky scratches his head wondering what to do next.
I made a back up image of the C:\ drive. I can erase all the drives on my system from a BIOS command. Then, go to the RAID array in BIOS, run the set up program, then restore Windows and all my data. What could go wrong? Everything. The well could run dry, my truck won't start, and my supper would be burnt...along with pure disaster on my system.

Maybe I'll just stick with what I have now. Franky wipes sweat from his forehead.
Many thanks for your time jobeard. I've come to realise that I have way too many important files that I don't want to risk losing, because my appetite is bigger than my stomach.

Many thanks for your time jobeard. I've come to realise that I have way too many important files that I don't want to risk losing, because my appetite is bigger than my stomach.
That's just SO easy to do :grin: Here's a fundamental axiom for computers
If it aint broke, don't fixit
best wishes

Got it. If it wasn't for that one program I use to create graphics, I wouldn't use Windows at all. I used Page Plus to make this retro-radio.

Attachments

• retro radiov3gold .png
    retro radiov3gold .png
    628 KB · Views: 0
Back