RAID cards, PCI and PCIe, best option?

Trillionsin

I believe I am talking about "fake" raid here.

To the point:
I am building a file server using FreeNAS with a PC thats over a few years old, I'd say around 3-4 years, wanting to set up a RAID function with this.

I've learned after a bit of reading that there are such things as fake raid, where the processor actually handle where the data goes, and this is fine... as these also seem to be much cheaper. I'm using a bit older mobo (can post model later, upon request) that has 2 SATA ports for RAID 0 or 1. I am considering getting a card to support up to 4 HDDs.

Here are options I've been looking at.

Syba PCI Express SATA II 4 x Ports RAID Controller Card SY-PEX40008

Adaptec RAID 1430SA - Storage controller (RAID) - 4 Channel - SATA-300 low profile - 300 MBps - RAID 0, 1, 10, JBOD - PCI Express x4

SYBA SY-PCI40026 PCI Low Profile SATA II (3.0Gb/s) Controller Card

Adaptec 2240900-R 1430SA PCI Express X4 4-Port SATA 3GBS Low-profile Host RAID Controller

Now, I realize Amazon.com doesnt give good descriptions.

Also, is there a RAID function build into FreeNAS? I cannot seem to get window shares to work with that... so I still need to work that out...using 8.2

Here are options I've been looking at.

Syba PCI Express SATA II 4 x Ports RAID Controller Card SY-PEX40008

Adaptec RAID 1430SA - Storage controller (RAID) - 4 Channel - SATA-300 low profile - 300 MBps - RAID 0, 1, 10, JBOD - PCI Express x4

SYBA SY-PCI40026 PCI Low Profile SATA II (3.0Gb/s) Controller Card

Adaptec 2240900-R 1430SA PCI Express X4 4-Port SATA 3GBS Low-profile Host RAID Controller
Adaptec has been the leader for decades and using the CARD avoids the 'fake-raid' software implementation. One big advantage is the card completes the operation without the assistance of the CPU.

Once you opt for the raid-controller card, you (imo) really ought to go with
SCSI attached devices which give you hotplug support and dynamic raid recovery.[x]

Be carefull: Even Microsoft does not recommend attempting to boot from a Raid.
Raid is a server function to avoid a single point of failure, and even with Raid-1 or Raid-10, you still need a backup system.

[x]The NAS Raid-x is frequently SCSI internally for these reasons

SCSI RAID is more on the expensive end. I would just like redundancy for backup.... I did not realize that these cards are not the "fake" raid... upon reading other forums I must have gotten confused. Thanks for your recommendations.

Back