Raid Controller Question

By LinkedKube
Jul 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm thinking of getting a dedicated raid controller card. I currently have 5 HDD's connected to my mobo and plan on buying 4 1TB WD Cav black drives.

I also I have 5 other HDD's I want to hook up with information I cant get to all the time w/o swapping drives out.

My price range is around the 250ish usd range. Some questions I have that someone may be able to answer.

1. How important is the cache memory I see on some of the controllers, and how much shows a benefit?

2. What are the best companies out there, that I can have trust in as far as quality and technical support(if needed)?

3. I see SCSI connections on a lot of these cards, but with only x4 sata connections. ARe these the only ones available( I see some of these cards supporting up to 30+ physical drives, and I know my third grade math skills dont fail me)?
    4. I also have ssd's in the line of purchase at Newegg, can someone suggest a few cards that wont limit me to 700~mb of read and write speeds?

All help is much appreciate. Thank you very much.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,040   +223

SCSI is the right way to get ALL the features of Raid; hotswap, auto rebuild
    but those cards are expensive and you need SCSI HDs and a RAID enclosure.

Maybe someone can speak to the newer Serial-SCSI devices and how to use them
    with a external RAID enclosure
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.