Raid0 question

By jdlover
May 2, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I want to turn my gaming rig into a striped raid array. I know the 2 drive's have to be the same. My question is the same true for the drive's cache. I have 2 seagate 500gb 7200.11 drives but one has a 16mb cache and the other a 32mb cache. Can I still use these 2 drives together or will the cache size really make a difference?
    Thanks for any help!
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,292   +282

hardware cache in the HDs is invisible to the OS and its drivers, so NO they do not need to be the same.

HOWEVER, I would strongly advise you to search the site for all RAID comments;
    raid-0 will be a disaster upon the very first disk error and force you into a full system
    recovery. ARE YOU READY FOR THAT???
  3. jdlover

jdlover Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thank you jobeard for the reply. I am still researching the pros and cons of doing this. I do welcome the info which does allow that option.

Thanks again,

jdlover
  4. jobeard

getting the option, or better said, making that choice and implementing it on a specific
    machine is the trivial part.

it's the consequences that frequently get over looked and then when disaster strikes,
    we hear "Oh my, how do I recover my ..."

suggest you get some good backup software and practice creating backups and more
    importantly, performing restores in at least two modes:
    1. restoring a simple directory to a given date
    2. learning how to recover the whole boot disk
      (hint: normal backup will not recover an HD which will not boot as it doesn't
      capture the MBR)
    For case (2), you need something like Ghost or Acronis True Image 11
  5. jdlover

I have been using ghost for years to make my own system restore disks. Once I get a new install done with all essential programs installed I ghost it to dvd's.

Very good suggestion that other's would do well to heed!
    It has saved my bacon many times.

In your opinion would you set up a raid array to get alittle more performance out of the pc or is it a case of extra work for little gain?
  6. jobeard

At least you asked :) IMO, it's the latter -- even Microsoft does not recommend Raid-0
    for the Boot disk
    !

Best wishes
  7. jdlover

Thanks again jobeard. I do believe I will pass on the raid setup.

It just seems when I built this rig I expected more performance! I went from an old socket a amd 2700+ with 1gb ddr 3200 and an agp video geforce 7300 512mb ddr2 with no sata connections on mobo to this setup. There was a performance gain but again not what I thought it would be.

Just trying to get the most bang for my buck!

Again, thanks.
  8. jobeard

you're welcome -- my objective on this subject is to keep users SAFE and not let them
    make brash assumptions based upon techno-bable terms that require special 'care & keeping' for the average home user.

(gee, maybe that's a bit transparent; teeheehee ).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.