RAM Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally it should work with your motherboard. But it is recommended(if you put two sticks) to put two of the same kinds, power, and capacity for it to work well.

Yes, they will work, but they are not for gamer machines or for image design and editing tasks as they might run a bit more slowly.
As Amagnien says, buy both modules now. Fill both slots with the exact same memory, and worry no more. Give your old one to the Salvation Army or the White Elephant for their use in rebuilding and testing a donated computer... and take the write off.
You might also look at the prices of memory with shipping at www.crucial.com, www.directron.com, and www.zipzoomfly.com. They sometimes beat NewEgg by five to ten dollars when shipping is included in the cost.

Since that mobo tops out at 2 Gb and doesn't support dual channel operation, I would personally recommend you buy another 512 stick at about $20 and live with 1 Gb ram.

Oh, I see. Well I'm not planning to play any games. It is just that it has been running out a lot lately and i thought that it was time to add more. I'll search around some more for cheaper prices. Actually I think adding another 512 will be good enough. Thanks everyone.

Hi CCT,
have a question for you about why you recommend only 1 gb here. It was my understanding that it would not hinder performance if say you used 1gb stick and a 512 stick as long as you use the largest stick in the 0 (or 1) position, at least that is how it was explained to me.

Thanks

Spend the money. It is nothing right now, as companies are shedding inventory. A 1 GB module can be found for $18.99 to $23. A year from now that memory will be sky high... well over $43 a module if recent trends prove out.

Hi CCT,
have a question for you about why you recommend only 1 gb here. It was my understanding that it would not hinder performance if say you used 1gb stick and a 512 stick as long as you use the largest stick in the 0 (or 1) position, at least that is how it was explained to me.

Thanks

The poster was asking about adding a 1 Gb stick - I cannot find a 'name brand' for less than $31 while I can find 512 Mb sticks for less than $20. I feel having 1.5 Gb isn't going to be much improvement over 1 Gb for normal use in XP.

I will note that the motherboard in question is apparently a 'white box' not supported by FIC but used in a number of Emachines and other lower end comps with high failure rates. $20 is ok to gamble for some improvement - a matched pair of 1 Gb at $60+ is to much in my opinion.

That's all.

edit: had a couple errors on my pricing

Memory prices are slipping up already since they have stopped production on the DDR PC400 PC3200

But we have had superb luck with Directron and Zipzoomfly.
Zipzoom fly today $26.95 each Item 80097-40 and $26.95 Kingston

Directron $21.99 Buffalo Select. We have purchased over 200 modules with no failures. Buffalo is very good. And Corsair $24.99 or $12.49 in lots of two after rebate.

The memory from newegg that I listed is quite cheap also if you have the mail in rebate. Total is around 20 or so.

If you are thinking to but Memory stick better you take it from newegg as it will be cheaper for you and you have a variety of products.

Directron and ZipZoomFly have excellent memory and the service with Directron is even better than NewEgg... and less costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back