RAM compatibility

Frosty21

HI there guys!

I have a question before purchasing some ram. I would like to know if the following RAM will be able to run on my Asus M4a79XTD Evo : http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_12800_intel-i7_triple_channel

I know the ram is i7 optimized but is it possible to run the ram on my mobo at the rated speeds?
Also is it possible to run the triple channel memory on a Dual channel motherboard?
I hope to hear from an expert soon.
Thank you.

For a dual channel system I would recommend two or four DIMMS. Those will work with the motherboard you have but it's not optimal.

For a dual channel system I would recommend two or four DIMMS. Those will work with the motherboard you have but it's not optimal.

Thank you sire for replying!

I'm not expert in this department but can you elaborate abit more when you say it won't be optimal. Do you mean the timing may have to change?
My mobo has an option for 1.65 V so thats not a worry. Am i right in saying that if i run the ram at 1.65V i should be able to run it at stock timings too?

Also im confused, why will i not be able to insert the three sticks of ram into my PC? Will only two be suitable?

Thanks again dude, really appreciate the help.

You motherboard runs the memory as dual channel. With 3 sticks it would run in single channel mode. It may not be a performance difference you'd notice but it will be a difference.

I have one more question. My mobo supports dual channel. I already have a 2gb stick. Now i have another 3 x 1gb sticks. How do i run them in dual Channel mode? Here is how my slots are on my mobo:

¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦
¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦
¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦
¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦
¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦
A1 B1 A1 B1

So where do i put my 2gb stick and where do i put the rest?

JMMD can you help me with my last question? Would just like to get my computer up and running correctly :)

Back