TechSpot

RAM DDR400 compatibility with Intel motherboard D865GVHZ urgent

By kshehbaz
Dec 3, 2009
  1. My system is restarting again and again and last time it didn't started.

It was not showing display.

I had two RAMs, and I removed the new which I recently installed 2 months back.

Details:

Old Ram: KVR400X64C3A/128
    New Ram: KVR400X64C3A/512

Motherboard: Intel D865GVHZ
    System BUs Speed: 533 MHZ
    System Memory: 333

I am running only the old RAM now, as the new one seems to be causing problem.

The Intel website says in "Supported system bus frequency and memory speed combinations" that the RAM combinations are

To use this type of DIMM... The processor's system bus frequency must be...
    DDR400 800 MHz
    DDR333(Note) 800 or 533 MHz
    DDR266 800, 533, or 400 MHz

I DONT KNOW WAT IS MY SYSTEM FREQUENCY AND WHICH RAM TO USE?
    THE OLD ONE IS ALSO NOT COMPATIBLE IT SEEMS, BUT IT IS RUNNING. . THE new ram is not...

What to do?
    I'll be claiming RAM warranty so which one to get now? DDR 400 OR DDR333

Please help and visit the following link

intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865gvhz/sb/CS-027109.htm

Thanks

2. pcaceit

pcaceit TS Rookie Posts: 315

3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

4. pcaceit

pcaceit TS Rookie Posts: 315

Thanks Kimsland for update of outdated link
    link Was coppied from his manual!

had a look and could not find any entry in the specs for your ram that indicated whether or not it supported (SPD).

The problem is that your ram probably does not meet specifications: see text (taken from (SPD) requirements) below:

NOTE
    To be fully compliant with all applicable DDR SDRAM memory specifications, the board should be populated with DIMMs that support the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. This allows the BIOS to read the SPD data and program the chipset to accurately configure memory settings for optimum performance. If non-SPD memory is installed, the BIOS will attempt to correctly configure the memory settings, but performance and reliability may be impacted or the DIMMs may not function under the determined frequency.

"

5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Yes I know, but the motherboard came out over 4 years ago. I see this a lot with manuals not being updated

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.