RAM for 10 yr. old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fairly new desktop and a lap top, but I decided I wanted to try to fix up my 10 year old computer to use as a back up (for basic internet & word processing). I decided to upgrade from the painful Windows 98 to XP, but now I can't install internet security or any sizable program.

I want to add memory but I am technically challanged. Dad took it into Staples for me today but they didn't have anything for a computer that old & they didn't tell him what I would need. I could look for something on ebay if I know what to look for.

I found the old info that came with it:
- Intel FC-PGA Plll 600 MHz Processor
- 256K Cache
- 64 Megabyte SDRAM (PC 100)

The motherboard was replaced several years ago. I still have the box, it is Micro ATX.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Lisa

The micro ATX standard is only the form factor of the motherboard. What is the brand and model of the motherboard? Once we know that we would be in a better position to make a RAM recommendation.

Its just PC100 RAM, should be simple enough to find. PC133 will work as well. The prices are going to be pretty high compared with today's ddr2 but there shouldn't be any problems obtaining PC100 or 133.

mmmartie said:
decided to upgrade from the painful Windows 98 to XP, but now I can't install internet security or any sizable program....

I found the old info that came with it:
- Intel FC-PGA Plll 600 MHz Processor
- 256K Cache
- 64 Megabyte SDRAM (PC 100)

You will need ram and likely to need more HD too. As the processor is only 600mhz,
personally I would look to buy another system as a total replacement.

Look for at lease 1.3 Ghz cpu, 512mb ram, 40gb hd, ethernet chip/card and usb 2.0 port2. The system will at least
be reasonable in performance and you can store much more user files, eg mp3 and digital camera pic

Thank you for all the tips. Someone pointed me to crucial.com to scan my system. It told me everything I needed to know and more. It's a VIA PLE 133 motherboard, it has one empty memory slot and each one can handle up to 512 MB, so the maximum upgrade would be 1 GB total.

I'm going to check ebay for cheap 512 MB, then if it doesn't work I won't be out too much money.

Fine. Just understand that regardless of memory or HD, that 600mhz cpu will
limit your 'application responsiveness' -- it may be irritating to wait for Mouse Click responses :)

You may also want to put Windows 2000 on if you can obtain that somehow. Its base install is a fair bit smaller than XP (and uses less resources) if you are short on HD space, and it will run very well on a 600Mhz P3. With the exception of a few games, nearly everything that will run on XP will run on 2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back